Pop Up Advertising

Ken A

• 1 year later...

As mentioned earlier , the best thing you can do is stop using IE. There are much better browsers available , Opera , Firefox etc. Also , I run 3 separate spyware cleaners , what one might miss , the other 2 will surely pick up !! I am a very heavy internet user , and before I switched from IE , every week I was removing over a hundred different spyware and malware apps from my computer, after changing to Opera , on a bad week I might get 3 . I didnt change my surfing habits , just my browser.

Ross

Thanks for the tip Ken,

I just switched to Mozilla and boy oh boy...it's far superior to IE..thanks.

I also d/loaded the spyware program and found 17 spyware items on a 3 month old machine.

It's a real eye opener to how malicious some seemingly innocent web sites are using this stuff.

Thanks again for the tip and I'll make sure I keep up with the updates.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to re-iterate what Ken has said - Ad Aware and Spybot are essential tools. As for browsers, Mozilla Firefox absolutely blows Internet Explorer out of the water for speed and functionality (pop-up blocking, tabbed browsing, heaps of handy extensions, inline (ie non pop-up) ad blocking):

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

try it and see.

Mozilla Thunderbird is Mozillas mail client, and is also excellent - it is also much more secure than Outlook:

http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

I''''''''m pretty evangelical abuot Mozillas products, cause I''''''''m a web developer, and am sick to death of having to work around Explorers multitude of bugs. The more people I can convert to Firefox the better! And aside from that, the much better security on Firefox/Thunderbird saves me from having to fix all my friends machines when they get compromised by malware/virii.

Wakd.

For those Fishraiders that are using Firefox as their browser, Mozilla today released their

new 2.0 version of Firefox.

I just downloaded it and it is better.

Here's today's story on it in the S.M.H.:

Pete.

Improved security for new browser

Mozilla today released a new version of its Firefox web browser that has gained popularity as a free alternative to Microsoft's ubiquitous Internet Explorer software.

In the two years since its release by the nonprofit Mozilla Foundation, the Firefox browser has won millions of devotees worldwide.

The Firefox 2 browser made available for download today was heralded by the organisation in Mountain View, California, as a "major update" developed by an "an international community of contributors".

"Firefox 2 delivers the best possible online experience for people today," said Mozilla chief executive Mitchell Baker.

"The improvements Mozilla has made to the ease of use, performance, and security in Firefox 2 reflect our ongoing, singular focus on meeting the needs of web users all over the world."

Localised versions of the browser were available in 35 languages and tailored to work with Windows, Macintosh or Linux computer operating systems, Mozilla said.

The browsers can be downloaded at the website http://www.getfirefox.com.

Firefox has 11 per cent of the web browser market, compared with the 86 per cent commanded by Internet Explorer and 1 per cent for Opera software, according to recent figures from Onestat web analytics firm.

Firefox simplified working in browsers, the boxes that show website pages on computer screens.

A strong advantage of Firefox has been a design that enables users to keep a set of browser windows open simultaneously and click easily between them with index tabs.

Microsoft built that coveted feature into its new Internet Explorer 7 software, the first Internet Explorer update in five years.

Upon hearing of Firefox 2's launch, Microsoft sent a congratulatory cake to Mozilla's Mountain View offices. One Mozilla employee took a photograph of the cake and published it on his personal blog.

"The cake was delivered by a bakery from Palo Alto, CA, USA and came with a delivery slip mentioning it was paid for by Microsoft, Redmond, WA, USA," said the employee.

Both Firefox 2 and Internet Explorer 7 allow updated online feeds of news headlines or other information by means of Really Simple Syndication (RSS) and boast improved security against online hackers and scammers.

They were also designed with functions to check word spellings.

Particular safeguards were installed to thwart "phishing", tricking people into entering personal data such as credit card numbers on bogus websites designed to appear legitimate.

Mozilla was originally a web navigator code name at defunct internet firm Netscape when it dominated the internet browser world more than a decade ago.

Netscape fell from glory, its browser eclipsed by Internet Explorer, its company bought in 1998 by America Online and reduced to brand status.

The Mozilla Organisation was established in 1998 to complete the free, open-source software project and it registered as a nonprofit foundation in July 2003.

Edited by MallacootaPete