Dongers

tentonner

Gday, wondering if someone might be able to answer this pretty obscure question

Does anybody know the name of an instrument that I once came across fishing with some mates

It was a wooden thing like a mini baseball bat with a handle and was used to knock the fish on the head

to kill it once it was in the boat. My mates called it a donger but i doubt this is its real name.

Has anyone come across a similar kind if instrument? and where i could i buy one?

I've gone through a couple, and i still love my mini baseball bat... i picket it up from rebel for about $10.

there are others that are specially made with more weight in the hitting end, but they also do alot more damage to fish, boat floors, gunwhales etc.

We had a similar thing several years back. It was turned out of a piece of Ironbark. It was called 'the priest' as it was used to deliver the 'last rights' :biggrin2:

A good way to despatch fish for the icebox. Try sending our tackle store sponsors a PM, mate. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Hodgey

We had a similar thing several years back. It was turned out of a piece of Ironbark. It was called 'the priest' as it was used to deliver the 'last rights' :biggrin2:

A good way to despatch fish for the icebox. Try sending our tackle store sponsors a PM, mate. They will be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers

Hodgey

Yep Hodgeys right- its called a priest

Evets

I use a little one made by rapala that is just awesome! little brass head that is lethal... puts holes in fish if you whack it too hard!

sammy, where'd you buy it / do you know if i could order it off the net?

btw i remember now my friends did refer to it as the priest :biggrin2:

We use similar devices to check the tyre pressures on our trucks ( latest high tech gear for our mob !) . They can be bought at larger servos where trucks fill up . Also , many tackle stores carry them . The really flash ones have a lanyard attached for the over enthusiastic !!

Ross

We use similar devices to check the tyre pressures on our trucks ( latest high tech gear for our mob !) . They can be bought at larger servos where trucks fill up . Also , many tackle stores carry them . The really flash ones have a lanyard attached for the over enthusiastic !!

Ross

Your dead right Ross,I still got mine,we you to callit{thistle fuk em}.

cheers Rick.

Hey raiders,

What are the common fish that you can use these on?

I've found it's good for trout, mullet etc with the rounded heads, but wouldn't have thought so good on snapper, trevally etc with deep bodies and sharp heads. Is this actually the case?

Thanks

We call it the Attitude Adjuster

We use it on most fish we are going to eat unless like you said it has a difficult shaped head, in which case a brain spike is probably going to be more effective.

Josh

What are the common fish that you can use these on?

I've found it's good for trout, mullet etc with the rounded heads, but wouldn't have thought so good on snapper, trevally etc with deep bodies and sharp heads. Is this actually the case?

Plastic Man, these 'dongers" must work well on snapper because some of the raider reports I've seen lately show photos of snapper with a huge "bump" on their head which was obviously caused by being hit with a hard blunt object, i.e. a "donger". :074:

Cheers

Peter

I bought this Aftco Fish Bat several months ago.

A bit steep at $51.00 but it has a lanyard and one side is flat, whereas the other is rounded. The handle turns up at the end which prevents accidental release whilst bludgeoning. Also the seamless fabrication makes for ease of cleaning and no retention of fish odour.

Good aid to keep in the car also.

Should be available at one of the site sponsors.

Here's the manufacturer's speel:

Made of super strong moulded glass filled polypropylene with a textured grip handle to prevent wet hands from slipping. Its rectangular shape prevents it from rolling around a deck. Waterproof, corrosion proof, will not scratch or mark decks or gel coat & it floats. A braided rope safety lanyard is included & the shape of the handle allows it to be hung from a railing or other structure. Length 19" (480mm). Weight 594gm.