Georges River Blackies 7.9.08

Guest Ben75

Its been a while since I have had a session for some Blackies today was a good one to get the bug again :thumbup: I got down to the Georges around 12.00pm and it was very slow with constant adjusting of the float stopper to find the little buggers and a few scoops of burley every now and a again i was waiting for the first down . I finally found some weed last week at one of my local spots but it was the stringy weed but the ribbon type so it was a little fragile to keep on the hook but I manged with big baits to stay on. It wasn't until after high tide that the fish started to bite or suck :wacko: I was after some good downs but they were being sneaky today. Even with a well balanced float it didn't matter they would suck the weed of the hook with out the float even moving so it came down to just striking when you know they are there don't ask me how you just know when they are doing the sneaky sneaky.

I used to fish this spot when I was learning to fish for them any local Raiders want to give Blackie fishing a go this spot would be a good spot to try. I stopped fishing there over a year ago due to other fisho's leaving crap around but it was clean when I turned up today. The pic bellow you can see a rock sticking out of the water thats were I fish I climb down as you have your own private spot and you cast out close to the rock and no one else gets in your way . All you can fish of the cliffs above . I find it is best fished on the run out but have had luck most times.

It is great when the water eddy's around the rock but today there wasn't much movement at all you couldnt get a drift going

6.jpg

Todays catch were caught just on the tip of the right side of the rock and biggest one was caught just about at my feet in shallower water . The water is very deep at this section of the river I think my rod is 13ft and I had my stopper set nearly another rod length when fishing out near the end of the rock most of the session

1-1.jpg

There wasn't to many fish caught maybe two throw backs and four keepers one 34 and one around 31 and 29 and just on legal 27 the two bigger fish were chunky fish they had some size to them .

4-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

I was going to take them home for a feed but I decided to let them go to catch again another time maybe when they hit 40cm :biggrin2:

Just thought I would take a pic of the keeper net I use for the Blackies theses are great as you can keep a few in there and they seem to keep in good condition when I fish of my kayak I use this type of keeper net as it is easy with one hand to open and drop them in

3-1.jpg

Cheers Ben

Edited by Ben75

Great report Ben!

We have to catch up soon and I'm hoping the Spring flatties will come on the bite soon although I wouldn't mind joining you on the Georges for what seems to be a pleasant spot there. Nice keeper net too!

Cheers, Rob

Well done Ben! Great catch & even better to put them back to grow bigger!! I've been doing that with my fish lately, too, as I have some in the freezer to smoke up for fish pie (YUM!)

I got one of those keeper nets too & gave it to my buddy up here, Wendy as it didn't really suit my yakking method!

Our estuary has gone Chocolate coloured after all the rain here & will take weeks to go back to normal! It comes a bit clearer on the in tide (in the main channel) but the side channels will be soupy for ages yet!

Welcome back - I know we'll be hearing from you regularly now! :) :) :)

Cheerio

Roberta

Gday davemmm

Thanks Mate its good to get a report up as I have been so busy with work. As today is Fathers day I must have some leave time today for being a good daddy so went out for a quickie :biggrin2: Its a nice part of the river haven't fished for any other fish there apart from Blackies. It is a nice spot when there isnt much boats on the water very relaxing place to be with the float in the water

Gday Wiggy

Mate not wrong cant wait to target the kings with you when they fire up and also hit some flatties around my new local launch spot at Kyle bay . Might even have to try to find a new Blackie spot close to home :thumbup:

Gday jenno64

Mate we will have to finally catch up for a YakFish as I am still yet to have a fish with you . I think the Georges will fire up as soon as this weather warms up and look out Flatties .Mate its an awesome keeper net . I mainly use it when fishing the bridges cooks river or como bridge as it is easy to get the fish in the net as you would know with kayak fishing the easier the better .

Gday Roberta

I didn't plan to eat any so I had to let them go . I did think of keeping them for bait for a beach session but back they went . When I get my new ute I will be keen to have a fish with you for your local Blackie's

Gday nexus

Cheers Mate

Gday sherackattack

Make sure you do fish with Gramps as they can teach you a few things.

Cheers Ben

Gday craigtempo

By your username I guess you are also a kayak Fisho :thumbup: are you Sydney based .

No I didnt sing born free :074: . I spoke to one of my fishing buddies today and he is keen for a beach session so I might go back down there and try to catch a few for bait :biggrin2:

Cheers Ben

Is that up near Soily Bottom? I haven't fished that area for many years, since I moved out west. Haven't fished nearly enough since I moved out west, either! :thumbdown:

On Sunday, after visiting my Dad at Penshurst, I took a drive down to the old Lugarno ferry. When I was a kid, I used to ride my bike down there (and push it back up! :wacko: ). I was pleasantly surprised to see the "boardwalk" and area there for fishos. Well done!

I used to get a few luderick from the rocks along there. Haven't fished for blackies for years. I've got a bit more time on my hands and you've prompted me to get back into it. Thanks!

Baz

Gday Snag

Mate you will have to give it a go send me a PM if you plan to have a blackfish session there if I am free from work i will be happy to join you . :biggrin2:

Gday Berleyguts

mate it is along henrylawson drive . It is were the road dips down . And it has the big pond on the right and the river on the left not sure what the park area is called but it is a great spot I I haven't fished there for over a year but when I did use to fish there I would always get a down or two :biggrin2:

Cheers Ben

Gday Snag

Mate you will have to give it a go send me a PM if you plan to have a blackfish session there if I am free from work i will be happy to join you . :biggrin2:

Gday Berleyguts

mate it is along henrylawson drive . It is were the road dips down . And it has the big pond on the right and the river on the left not sure what the park area is called but it is a great spot I I haven't fished there for over a year but when I did use to fish there I would always get a down or two :biggrin2:

Cheers Ben

Thanks Ben,

I know that area. Used to ride my bike there too. :) (A long time ago!).

Cheers!

Baz