Honda 130hp 4 Stroke

Central coast Mariner

Hi all,

Im still looking at my re-power options, and I have stumbled across a four stroke honda 130hp that I am interested in. It is around a 2005 model I think?

Does anyone have any info on the honda's they would like to share? I have noticed alot of commercial boats using them, but dont know much about them.

They are a bulletproof motor, very reliable. If you can get it cheap then go for it. I had one on my boat and I never had one problem with it. Ring any long term Honda dealer and they will tell that the 130 was an excellent motor. The same cannot be said for the entire range but the 130 was good.

Hi, off topic a bit sorry, but what price are they wanting for it because I have recieved an email from BRP and they have some different HP demo E-TECs for sale, most with low hours and they all come with minium 2 years warranty.

PM me if you would like a near new engine for probably the same sort of price of a second hand one.

Cheers,

Huey.

near new engine for probably the same sort of price of a second hand one.

Huey, I know it's Friday but what's the difference between near new and second hand? :wacko:

On the topic though, I use smaller Horsepower engines for my commercial operations. Still in good service are Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, Tohatsu and Johnson 2 strokes.

I purchased 2 x 15Hp 4 stroke Honda's 2 years ago and unfortunately they gave me nothing but grief. Nearly twice the price of a 2 stroke, I was told that I would get greater longevity from them. Needless to say they are unserviceable now and no longer in my fleet. The other brands seem to be able to handle the harsh environment and careless operators better than the Honda's could.

I realise it's not the 130Hp you mentioned, but one would think that if you couldn't get it right in the lower Hp range then how would they manage durability, reliability and longevity in the larger engines.

That is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Cheers

Mariner

Huey, I know it's Friday but what's the difference between near new and second hand? :wacko:

On the topic though, I use smaller Horsepower engines for my commercial operations. Still in good service are Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, Tohatsu and Johnson 2 strokes.

I purchased 2 x 15Hp 4 stroke Honda's 2 years ago and unfortunately they gave me nothing but grief. Nearly twice the price of a 2 stroke, I was told that I would get greater longevity from them. Needless to say they are unserviceable now and no longer in my fleet. The other brands seem to be able to handle the harsh environment and careless operators better than the Honda's could.

I realise it's not the 130Hp you mentioned, but one would think that if you couldn't get it right in the lower Hp range then how would they manage durability, reliability and longevity in the larger engines.

That is my opinion, for what it's worth.

Cheers

Mariner

Hi Carl,good point mate, but to me "near new" is like Demo engines with sometimes only a few hours on the clock. Second hand means anything in terms of usage, service and hours. The demo engines also come with a factory backed warranty-no second hand one would have this and the warranty if any will be another persons name.

Have a good weekend mate and how did you go with your Mariner.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks for the clarification of your comments Huey. Obviously a warranty definately gives an advantage over a second hand unit without.

The Mariner, well we got the oil issue sorted out with many thanks to your technical advice.

I have had a dilemma of late with the spark also. It was only firing on 3 cylinders. I thought this had something to do with the gear mechanism as it "disengages" 3 cylinders when being put into gear - obviously to lower the revs for a smoother gear engagement.

Bugger me, I've had all the coils switched around, cleaned earth contacts, pulled my hair out and you would never guess the solution that we reached today. On your advice, I put in all new manufacturer recommended plugs, set the gaps as you advised and have been dumbfounded as to why no spark. Okay, my mechanic, unusual at it may seem, has more common sense than me, the layman. He put back the old plugs and "Hey Presto" we are now cooking with gas.

The "new" plugs that we installed came with the boat when I purchased it.

Is it likely that they would be faulty, or could have been mishandled in that they would not offer any spark?

Do they have a "shelf life?" It must sound like a silly question but it's got me buggered why they wouldn't spark!

Thanks again for the ever helpful advice and have a great weekend.

Cheers

Carl

Hi Carl, strange one mate, but I think from memory you will have an older engine with coils and not CDMs, like newer engines. If so I do not see why fitting the "correct' plugs would cause a "no spark" situation. Possibly when you cleaned the earth wires you repaired the problem.

Post your serial number so that i know what type of ignitoon system you are running and we can go from there.

Probably best to start another post to mate so that we do not hijack this post.

Cheers,

Huey.