Scotty Rail Mount Rod Holders

gaz

Has anyone had to buy a spacer to mount them b4.

Bought some in canada and they only had 7/8 or 1 1/4 which i bought. I have a 1 inch rail, tried some rubber but not really any good, wondering if there is a off the shelf item i can buy before having a nylon bush made. Looked at pvc pipe but wall thickness is not thick enough, needs to be about 3mm thick

any ideas?

Has anyone had to buy a spacer to mount them b4.

Bought some in canada and they only had 7/8 or 1 1/4 which i bought. I have a 1 inch rail, tried some rubber but not really any good, wondering if there is a off the shelf item i can buy before having a nylon bush made. Looked at pvc pipe but wall thickness is not thick enough, needs to be about 3mm thick

any ideas?

Some good advice already delivered. You could also look at another 3 options.

1/. Take a piece of 1" pipe and cut it longitudinally on 2 sides. Use this as a spacer and if need be put some 1/8" insertion rubber (or old tyre tube) between it and your rail, and also between the downrigger clamp to take up the slack in the tolerances.

2/. For extra itegrity of the mount you may consider drilling a couple of 1/8" holes and applying either a stainless pop rivet or self tapper for security.

3/. Cut and shut the 1" handrail and substitute (weld in place) the larger diameter to suit the downrigger mount.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Cheers

Mariner

Edited by Mariner 31

thanks guys,

mount already has 2 x grub screws to fix into the rail which will need to be replaced with longer ones, idealy need a bush/adapter/tube with ID of a inch - OD of a 1 1/4 and about 70mm long that i can cut into 2 halves.

Wondering if our resident plumbers/mechanics/irrigation guys know of such a part that i could use off the shelf before having a nylon one turned up or the rail bush and welded out to 1 1/4.

boats a quinnie 475 coastrunner

Beware any rod holders with plastic components. They have cost me about 3 thousand bucks over the past couple of years. :1badmood:

Gee Ceph three thousand dollars spent on plastic rod holders. To save another three thousand next session you should consider buying the el cheapo disposable ones :lol:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Gaz The trouble with spacers is that they can slip under pressure. Do you have enough room on the gunnels to mount bolt thru grab rails in 1 1/4 to mount your rod holders on ?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I had problems with my Scotty mounts slipping even without spacers. I think Jewgaffer is spot on that spacers would make it a big risk. I ended up drilling some holes and bolting through the mounts and the rail but I've since upgraded to stainless holders that I've still riveted in place for extra security. To be honest the plastic mounts are great for bream fishing and stuff but I wouldn't trust them for anything heavier.

Cheers, Slinky