Lake Illawarra Blackfish

mpreston55

Thanks to Ceph a Lopod's information :thumbup: I tried Lake Illawarra today a bit earlier in the run out tide. Started off pretty slowly with a few downs in the first hour and hooked up to a couple of under 30cm fish that I always put back. Kept the burley going in fairly regularly and eventually they started to come around in numbers.

Next fish was a really nice 38cm bronze beauty :biggrin2: . In the next hour and a half Dad and I brought in another 12 fish between us that were all over the 30cm keeper mark.

There were 3 other fishermen there also fishing for blackies and they did at least as well as we did. Have photos on my mobile phone but haven't got them downloaded as yet.

Some good weed starting to grow around the back of the lake :biggrin2: and the blackies on the bite so things are looking good.

Regards;

Howard

Good effort, Howard. Was that up in the lake proper or down near the entrance more. No specifics needed. I'm only familiar with the Windang area (and that from years ago).

Thanks,

Baz

Windang area Berleyguts. You'll find where the fish are by looking out for the fishermen standing on the shore.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Howard, top catch!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

:drool::drool::drool:

Could i just ask where do you get the weed as bait?

cheers

G'day Industry,

Got the weed near the jetty at Primbee. It is starting to go off in places so you might have to do a bit of walking along the shoreline. Hope this helps.

By the way went out on Friday last week and only caught one. Will have to do a bit of looking around in the boat to see if I can find them again.

All the best;

Howard

Well done Howard! Isn't it fun when they are 'on'!! Nice feed there! :)

Roberta

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for that. They were on early last week but seem to have moved on again. As I said to Industry I will have to go exploring in the boat after the long weekend. Not going out on the long weekend because we will be crowded out :mad3: . Now that I have retired it's much more relaxing to wait until midweek and go out in the peace and quiet :yahoo: .

Good luck up there in Forster.

Regards;

Howard

I went on google maps and saw on the satelite some weed green stuff around the entrance of mullet creek

is that it?

havn't been there for a while

hope to go :1fishing1: this weekend

Not around Mullet Creek but I have got it from there before so there may be some in that area. The other side of the lake around Primbee is where I got the weed from.

Happy hunting;

Howard

Saw a group of fine looking fish laying eggs in the harbour yesterday ,think it may have been because of the full moon.The spawn was pale pink and on the surface drifting with the tide.They wouldn't even LOOK at a bait!

That's interesting Braidbuster. Maybe they are just starting their spawning activity. Hopefully they will get it over and done with and then go looking for a good feed because they are hungry again.

I did notice that the last lot of blackfish I caught were coming into the lake with huge numbers of mullet. Last time I went there weren't any mullet coming into the lake. Maybe they are tied together some way. Lots of research to do.

All the best;

Howard