Reel Maintenance

james7

I’ve just finished reading every post I could find regarding reel maintenance and what to do to your reel after fishing. I’ve been told by a few people (including people who service reels) to only use “Ballistol” on a reel after wiping it down with a damp cloth.

From what I’ve read, I think know what NOT to do.

Don’t ever use WD40 on a reel

Don’t ever hose a reel using high pressure

Don’t ever dunk your reel in a bucket of water

Many of you suggested using Inox. Has anyone ever had any problems with Inox? It’s half the price of Ballistol for twice the amount. Are there any advantages of Inox over Ballistol?

After spending $50 to get my old Shimano Charter Special serviced, I think I need to look after my reels a bit better. Anyway, this is the procedure I now intend to use:

Tighten the drag

Lightly hose the rod and reel using a fine mist spray

Wipe the reel dry with a clean cloth

Loosen the drag

(And since I’ve just bought a can for $20!) Spray with Ballistol.

What do you think? Any other advice or suggestions?

Cheers

Peter

Hi Pete, your gonna get suggestions from everywhere with this Q, my thing is to simply wipe over with a damp cloth, I use a smidgeon of dishwashing liquid, just a touch, dry it off apply a little bit of light oil to the moving bits, and loosen off the drag. Many reels have had this done and they are all fine.. Cheers Peter..

P.S my reels and small rods live in our lounge room in thier own little corner..

I’ve just finished reading every post I could find regarding reel maintenance and what to do to your reel after fishing. I’ve been told by a few people (including people who service reels) to only use “Ballistol” on a reel after wiping it down with a damp cloth.

From what I’ve read, I think know what NOT to do.

Don’t ever use WD40 on a reel

Don’t ever hose a reel using high pressure

Don’t ever dunk your reel in a bucket of water

Many of you suggested using Inox. Has anyone ever had any problems with Inox? It’s half the price of Ballistol for twice the amount. Are there any advantages of Inox over Ballistol?

After spending $50 to get my old Shimano Charter Special serviced, I think I need to look after my reels a bit better. Anyway, this is the procedure I now intend to use:

Tighten the drag

Lightly hose the rod and reel using a fine mist spray

Wipe the reel dry with a clean cloth

Loosen the drag

(And since I’ve just bought a can for $20!) Spray with Ballistol.

Cheers

Peter

I think you've got it pretty well covered.

After i spray mine with fresh i give it a really good fast spin to get all the water out of the bail arm roller bearing, then give the reel a few violent shakes, dry it off with a cloth, then wipe it over with an inox soaked rag.

If you haven't got a WP drag it would pay to pull the drag knob off and let the internals dry out a bit too. Water sitting in the drag washers is never a good thing.

That proceedure will be fine... just make sure the water isn't under any pressure. I combine gentle running water and Ray's method of a wipe over with water with a very small amount of auto wash. I mostly use Lanox these days but Innox is great too.

No matter what you do though, the regular clean is really a must if you want your gear to last. But you should still also regularly periodically lubricate the moving parts. I'd also recommend servicing your reels (yourself or by the manufacturer if not confident) at least once a year or after any particularly hard service (after an extended fishing holiday for example). Even well maintained reels need this additional work to keep them in A1 condition.

Cheers, Slinky

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet information, are:

50%: Stoddard solvent (i.e., mineral spirits -- somewhat similar to kerosene)

25%: Liquefied petroleum gas (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)

15+%: Mineral oil (light lubricating oil)

10-%: Inert ingredients

The German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:

60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (petroleum product), hydrogen treated

1-5%: Carbon dioxide

It further lists flammability and effects to the human skin when repeatedly exposed to WD-40 as risks when using WD-40. Nitrile rubber gloves and safety glasses should be used. Water is unsuitable for extinguishing burning WD-40.

There is a popular urban legend that the main ingredient in WD-40 is fish oil.[2] Although it is unknown whether the formula contains fish oil, material safety data sheets for the product show that the main ingredient is Stoddard solvent, not fish oil.[3]

Lanox et al are lanoline based , not hydrocarbon.

Ross

Just be cautious using Ballistol. Its ok for wiping down with a soft cloth but don't spray it in things like bearings. Ballistol mixes easily with water and emulsifies. That emulsion is what eventually cruds up and attracts other rubbish.

WD40 is a petroleum distillate and best kept for gate hinges etc.

Lanox or similar is usually a safe bet and a step ahead of Inox which can affect some plastics and rubber in the long term.

Cheers

C.

Yep, ballistol is for the reel body. My preference is for inox or lanox for all over cleaning.

One thing to note is not to spray over your braided lines. Im not sure Lanox affects braid but I had one spool start to break repeatedly and the only cause I could think of was me spraying the spool with lanox or not letting the braid to dry properly after rinsing.

Yep, ballistol is for the reel body. My preference is for inox or lanox for all over cleaning.

One thing to note is not to spray over your braided lines. Im not sure Lanox affects braid but I had one spool start to break repeatedly and the only cause I could think of was me spraying the spool with lanox or not letting the braid to dry properly after rinsing.

G'day Caranx,

Not sure if Lanox or Innox damage braids but I've use them for years with no trouble. Braid can be damaged if it's not rinsed well after use in salt water. At the salt water evaporates it leaves behind salt crystals that will weaken braid... fibre by fibre... over time. Quite possibly the culprit.

Cheers, Slinky

Braid can be damaged if it's not rinsed well after use in salt water. At the salt water evaporates it leaves behind salt crystals that will weaken braid... fibre by fibre... over time. Quite possibly the culprit.

Cheers, Slinky

I always rinse my braid out after every session so not too sure. The only other differing factor was the lanox. But not too keen to try and experiment to see if it was the cause as having to ditch several hundred yards of braid as I wasnt confident in it is not a cheap experiment. I still use lanox, but ensure I dont spray the braid with it. Never had any problems with Inox and I had been spraying over the reels and line with it for ages as well. Just too much of a coincidence for me.

WD40 and those other sprays, if petroleum based best to avoid in my opinion. If you regularly oil and grease your reels then spray with that stuff it can strip the oil and grease off. Lanox is good in that is leaves a coating on your reels so helps to protect it even more if it is subject to lots of saltwater spray.

cheers

Inox spray and Inox grease, I'd be lost without them.

After a day out I:

• Wipe the reel(s) down with a damp cloth
  • Take off the spool(s)
  • Pour warm water through the line to dissolve salt and allow to dry
  • Take drag washers out of reels that do not have a water proof drag system
  • Clean washer bay
  • Clean metal drag washers
  • Soak felt washers in inox and allow to dry (keeps the water at bay, I usually only do this once a year)
  • Spray a tiny amount of inox into the two oiling ports on the reel
  • Wipe down reel with an inox soaked cloth
  • Reassemble

When it comes to a service I repeat all of the above but I also take the reel apart entirely, clean all internal parts, remove all grease, apply new grease and reassemble.

I take care of my reels at home and they take care of me on the water.

Edited by reLapse

I use saltaway - no problems so far, no impact on line as well. Spary using the mist setting on the hose head.

Inox spray and Inox grease, I'd be lost without them.

After a day out I:

• Wipe the reel(s) down with a damp cloth
  • Take off the spool(s)
  • Pour warm water through the line to dissolve salt and allow to dry
  • Take drag washers out of reels that do not have a water proof drag system
  • Clean washer bay
  • Clean metal drag washers
  • Soak felt washers in inox and allow to dry (keeps the water at bay, I usually only do this once a year)
  • Spray a tiny amount of inox into the two oiling ports on the reel
  • Wipe down reel with an inox soaked cloth
  • Reassemble

When it comes to a service I repeat all of the above but I also take the reel apart entirely, clean all internal parts, remove all grease, apply new grease and reassemble.

I take care of my reels at home and they take care of me on the water.

Edited by Kruzenvax

We recommend Ballistol at Shimano, we have been using this product for 8 years and have found it to be more versatile than all the other spray lubricants, we have actually done away with using oil in all our reels and only apply ballistol to all the bearings, hinges, rollers etc. we can rejuvenate 90% of ball bearings using ballistol, it wont rinse out of bearings although it somewhat does emulsify in water which we find is an advantage due to the fact other brands trap corrosion under a film of lubricant, ballistol wont do that, ballistol will actually penetrate salt, water and grit, it will not gum up, go sticky, attract un desired foreign particles and is totally environmentally freindly. so theres a few reasons we use this product and rate it very highly. if i spend good money on a reel i want something thats been proven to do the job.

Tim s Shimano service manager.

due to the fact other brands trap corrosion under a film of lubricant

If someone is trapping corrosion with the lubricant they use then they obviously started to care about their reels a little to late.

Edited by reLapse

You've been had !

I've never heard of anyone saying that there is a better spray than INOX. INOX works fine and many many anglers stand by it and in saying that, it's not THAT cheap !