Boat Launch Question

Kruzenvax

Hi all,

For two seasons I used a certain way of putting my boat into the water, but got into a slight trouble today. Before I needed to give my boat a push in order to let it slide on the rollers to the water. So I used to undo the winch strap, undo the safety chain, boat still sits tight on the rollers, than a push and down she goes.

This year, when doing annual service I asked boys in the workshop to grease and re-align rollers. So they did and on the ramp I realised I do not need a push anymore. Once the winch lock is released the boat slides freely down the trailer. So I had some troubles keeping the slack on the winch strap so i could undo it. Ended up winching it down till the transom was in the water than walking down the trailer to undo the strap.

What should I do now to do it safer and better now? Especially on steep ramps?

Thanks

Alex

Try securing some chain or rope with a snap shackle like this, Make the length around 6inces-1foot away from the winch post, gently back the winch off till the shackle line comes taught then release the winch cable. All you have to do then is release the shackle remotely and the boat will fall away.

GT

snapshackle.jpg

tye a rope around the winch pole

pass it through the anckor thingy at the frount off the boat and hold it back at the winch pole you may have to double it around the pole

you now have a crude snatch block just give it a bit off slack 6inches at a time you will work out the speed

to let the rope out

it sounds rough but it will work fine and at the end you have your boat on a rope

cherrs gary

Hi Alex, now that the boat rolls off the trailer nicely, what I do when I launch any boat is just winch the boat off the trailer. That way you control the descent with the winch and the boat rolls nicely off and floats at the end of the trailer. Then you just un hook the strap and leave at the rear of the trailer so that it is ready to retrieve the boat. Winding the boat off allows the trailer to stay dry and you will not be spending money continually on trailer repairs like bearings/lights.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

Thanks for that. So I guess what you mean is - when I slowly wincing the boat - the boat does not dive that deep, so I can have my trailer further away from the water? Did I understand you properly?

It looks like a nice idea, may I ask however will this work with a bigger boat (5m+) I'm eyeing? What I mean is I will have to release the winch stopper... and if I loose a grip on the handle without the stopper, the handle my fly away...

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex, now that the boat rolls off the trailer nicely, what I do when I launch any boat is just winch the boat off the trailer. That way you control the descent with the winch and the boat rolls nicely off and floats at the end of the trailer. Then you just un hook the strap and leave at the rear of the trailer so that it is ready to retrieve the boat. Winding the boat off allows the trailer to stay dry and you will not be spending money continually on trailer repairs like bearings/lights.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Huey,

Thanks for that. So I guess what you mean is - when I slowly wincing the boat - the boat does not dive that deep, so I can have my trailer further away from the water? Did I understand you properly?

It looks like a nice idea, may I ask however will this work with a bigger boat (5m+) I'm eyeing? What I mean is I will have to release the winch stopper... and if I loose a grip on the handle without the stopper, the handle my fly away...

Thanks

Alex

Hi Alex, yes pretty much exactly what I mean, you do not have to get the running gear wet and the boat will slowly wind off and float in the water. I have used this method all boats as big as they get and can legally be trailered, so no problem with the size you are talking about. A properly set-up trailer and on a good ramp there is no need to dunk the trailer especailly when launching. If you are lazy when retrieving and do not want to winch the boat up then yes the trailer will have to be further back to drive on. What makes me wonder is when you see someone dunk their trailer and then still wind the boat on standing there in the water and in some case the car exhaust purpling in the nice salt water-I am sur we have all seen this.

If for some reason you lose control of the winch handle, you can just trip the stop on the winch and the boat will stop.

Your call mate and as I say to everyone, you can dunk the trailer if you like, but just be preapred to pay in the long run for the up keep and the trailer will not last as long as it should.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thank Huey,

Will try that and the rope next time to compare. Obviously your way seems easier and safer (for the boat not hitting bottom hard) How far is the trailer should go in the water is entirely different subject: I agree 100% with you, so far having bearings above the water was a safer bet for me; as much as I like to save on trailer maintenance I think hitting the ramp would cost a bit more to repair :-)

Thanks again

Alex.

Hi Alex, yes pretty much exactly what I mean, you do not have to get the running gear wet and the boat will slowly wind off and float in the water. I have used this method all boats as big as they get and can legally be trailered, so no problem with the size you are talking about. A properly set-up trailer and on a good ramp there is no need to dunk the trailer especailly when launching. If you are lazy when retrieving and do not want to winch the boat up then yes the trailer will have to be further back to drive on. What makes me wonder is when you see someone dunk their trailer and then still wind the boat on standing there in the water and in some case the car exhaust purpling in the nice salt water-I am sur we have all seen this.

If for some reason you lose control of the winch handle, you can just trip the stop on the winch and the boat will stop.

Your call mate and as I say to everyone, you can dunk the trailer if you like, but just be preapred to pay in the long run for the up keep and the trailer will not last as long as it should.

Cheers,

Huey.