Big Flatties

spence

I took a mate from work out yesterday in local lake (he doesn't fish). The rain had cleared at the boat ramp about 7am and put down poddy mullet trap. Looked to be full in short time but all little bream. Left boat ramp and pump 4 nippers in 15 minutes so was not looking good. Put nipper on for mate and show him how to cast. Within seconds the nipper is taken with a solid bite. Second nipper goes on and about 2 minutes later rod bends slightly and he lands his first ever flathead about 30cm. Starts raining hard and I have no wet weather gear so hide under bridge and use last 2 nippers. No bait and no fish and raining. Clears slightly so head out and put down poddy trap in a new area that doesn't look likely and pump a dozen good nippers nearby. Come back to trap and it has 6 primo size poddies. Mate wonders why I'm excited.

Put out poddy mullet and first flattie comes in just over 50cm. Then mate hooks up and it is solid, taking line and running him all over and doesn't want to come up......2nd flattie comes in at 55cm which is at my size limit for keeping. I suggest letting it go and my mate gives me a glum look so it's in the esky. Two more mid 50's are released. He also gets a flounder on poddie and some bream and tailor on nippers all released. Back in by lunch. Flattie eaten fresh last night, with some left over for tonight. He loves fishing......

These are the two keepers.

post-5101-1222210207_thumb.jpg

Congrats on introducing your mate to fishing with a successful outing :thumbup:

That top fish is in superb condition and both fish would have been excellent for the table. Considering how hard you had to work for bait, that is a great effort mate. Well done!

Cheers

Hodgey

I enjoyed your report spence69. You certainly showed your mate how to do it. I bet he's hooked now!

Any time you get more than a couple of flatties over 50cm is a great day!

Despite the rain and the initial trouble getting the bait, your persistence paid off. Congratulations on a good mixed bag in a successful session!

Cheers

Peter