Getting Out Of Low Tide

freja

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows which kayak or other boat can make it so you don't get stuck in really low tide

around the hawkesbury? Can you push your way out of the mud with a pole or paddle? How deep does it go normally?

Thanks

nb: sorry i'm not into fishing, i used to scuba dive with my biologist dad in the bahamas and i grew up in florida on an island and spent my childhood constantly in the ocean, sailing or diving but only river experience i've ever had is in the mangroves off

cardwell near hinchinbrook. can't remember anything but how scary it was to sink at low tide in the mud! so i thought fisherman

would have some good advice but it seems the answer must be obvious- don't go boating in low tide.

Edited by freja

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows which kayak or other boat can make it so you don't get stuck in really low tide

around the hawkesbury? Can you push your way out of the mud with a pole or paddle? How deep does it go normally?

Thanks

nb: sorry i'm not into fishing, i used to scuba dive with my biologist dad in the bahamas and i grew up in florida on an island and spent my childhood constantly in the ocean, sailing or diving but only river experience i've ever had is in the mangroves off

cardwell near hinchinbrook. can't remember anything but how scary it was to sink at low tide in the mud! so i thought fisherman

would have some good advice but it seems the answer must be obvious- don't go boating in low tide.

Freja, I have a single kayak, a "Tui", which I paddle in the Hawkesbury, I also have a 5m Quintrex Aluminum runabout.The kayak has never been a problem in pushing off the bottom, just pull the rudder up and use the paddle as a pole.It pays to keep an eye on the water levels I suppose. I haven't ever "seriously" bogged the boat, so a bit of reverse action on the outboard has always been able to release. It kinda depends on how stuck is "stuck".

Rgds Dhutchy

in sydney we have a much smaller tidal flow from top to bottom is 1.7 meters tops except for king tides at xmas they can be 2.2 meters

i do'nt think you would ever get a yak or boat to badly stuck in the hawks it;s fairly slow tide change down hear

cherrs gary

Thanks for the reply Dhutchy. I was looking at the chart and it goes right down to 0.33 and from google earth you can see there's a long way where it is just mud in some of the banks so it would be impossible to get out on the river again at that time from the shore, I guess. And thanks also brickman for the info.

You could possibly check your tide charts and organise your day around them to ensure you are not left "high & dry"

Here's the tides for the next week - PM me if you would like to have the tides for the rest of the year, however I would think that the charts should be available from your local tackle store.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, I think I'm going to try and get a hold of a kayak that tui one dutch was talking about and see if i can get fully stuck!

I do have all the tide charts from the maritime site on the net- what a great resource. It's a shame i don't like fishing because i LOVE eating fish but i remember the first one i ever caught was a 'blowfish' or puffer fish at aged 11 -thought it was the cutest thing i'd ever seen and did not in anyway want to see it gasping for air.

Edited by freja

that cool freja not every one like fishing you could go feeding and use no hook and just feel the pull and there are some fish that wont let go off a bait till there at the boat :biggrin2:

whatever you do have fun enjoy the waterways but always safty first

cherrs gary

Thanks, I think I'm going to try and get a hold of a kayak that tui one dutch was talking about and see if i can get fully stuck!

I do have all the tide charts from the maritime site on the net- what a great resource. It's a shame i don't like fishing because i LOVE eating fish but i remember the first one i ever caught was a 'blowfish' or puffer fish at aged 11 -thought it was the cutest thing i'd ever seen and did not in anyway want to see it gasping for air.

Hy Freja, the Tui is a great, smooth kayak to paddle, rides well and is reasonably light to transport. I got mine from the Kayak store at Narrabeen Lakes. http://www.prokayaks.com.au/Boats/Qkayaks/Tui.shtml They are made in New Zealand and go well.

If you hunt around you will probably pick a good one up second hand.

Good luck and safe paddling

Rgds

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps.