Patonga Again And More Flatties

Ray R

Hi Raiders, went to Patonga again this morning, walking again as Hutcho and his family are having a lovely time in Bali so no boating trips till he gets back.

The flatties were very hard to find today I think they were staying out of the wind or something, I fished from 7:00am till midday and it wasn't untill 10:30 that I actually landed a fish, 3 1/2 hours of windy casting for no fish , atleast the last 1 1/2 hours was okay , got 2 nice flatties 50cm's and 3 smaller throwbacks. Anyway that was about it, not too much to write about but I have 4 nice fat flattie fillets which my wife will devour , she loves them..

post-3371-1222577675_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1222577702_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1222577732_thumb.jpg

G'day mate!

Good job with the flatties!!! You had better luck than us! It was me that walked past you just after 7am with the rod and soft plastic when the wind picked up. We went around the creek and got a small flattie and whiting after the rocks.

G'day Ash, yeah well I stayed till midday ended up with 5 caught and as you saw I kept 2, very windy but I persevered..

Hi Ray,

Yesterday was a cracker at Patonga. 5 landed in under 2 hours, 2 undersize 2 just legal and one very nice one. Great early morning High tide and all fish released to fight another day. Took The boat out today any nearly got blown to N.Z

Nathan

P.S

Has anyone else undertaken the DPI Fishing Survey did one Yesterday morning.

Edited by Boog's Boat

Has anyone else undertaken the DPI Fishing Survey did one Yesterday morning.

yeah mate i did it about 6-8 weeks ago...the bloke was handing out catch and release kits with a couple of packets of circle hooks, a brag mat, pliers and gloves in it

woah 3 and a half hours of no fish caught...

after 3 casts i give up

I never give up ,you never know when a fish will attack, and keep moving along to new area's, and in the end you will get a fish or 2 as I did..

Edited by Ray R

Persistence pays off. Now you have some nice fillets to trade in for more domestic credits... which you can in turn trade in for more time on the water. Nice report mate. Those photos sure make your little flatty spot look inviting.

Cheers, Slinky

The :wife: is scoffing them right now , well almost now, , that will mean I need to go get some more.. You are right Slinky I have enough credits to go again.. Cheers

congratz on the awesome flatties you got there mate

im goin up to avoca for a week and a half on friday probbaly gonna go patonga hope i catch some flatties like those babies

what type/size sps did you use? , if you dont mind me asking.

Jason

p.s. hope your wife enjoys em

congratz on the awesome flatties you got there mate

im goin up to avoca for a week and a half on friday probbaly gonna go patonga hope i catch some flatties like those babies

what type/size sps did you use? , if you dont mind me asking.

Jason

p.s. hope your wife enjoys em

Not a problem there Jason, I was using berkleys 5" jerk shads in Satay Chicken 4" minnow in Chartreuse, 4"minnow in Pumkinseed, 5"jerk shad in Lime Tiger, on 2/0 1/16 oz and 3/0 1/8 oz jigheads, 8lb stren braid and 8lb Vanish flurocarbon leader. I will probably be back down to snare a few more flatties on Sunday morning low tide about 6:30 very light norwesters, perfect.. Where at Avoca are you staying.. Cheers..

Not a problem there Jason, I was using berkleys 5" jerk shads in Satay Chicken 4" minnow in Chartreuse, 4"minnow in Pumkinseed, 5"jerk shad in Lime Tiger, on 2/0 1/16 oz and 3/0 1/8 oz jigheads, 8lb stren braid and 8lb Vanish flurocarbon leader. I will probably be back down to snare a few more flatties on Sunday morning low tide about 6:30 very light norwesters, perfect.. Where at Avoca are you staying.. Cheers..

thanks on the advice there hope to get them before i go , i am staying on the beach

Hi Ray,

well done on the flatties!!!

A mate and I were fishing around the same location on sunday, unfortunetly we could find any fish!!! we didnt arrive till 9 and fished just around the head on the left hand side before you get to the second beach section. I did almost get a squid in but it decided to let go about 2m from the shore....

oh well i think next time ill try around abit more...