What Crab Is This?

Juzza

Question

6 answers to this question

I think those ones are stone crabs.

Red rock crabs are the faster crabs with the pimpley shells.

Never crossed my mind to use the stone crabs for bait. Especially since their shells are much thicker than the other crabs you can find on the rocks.

So my next question is, have you had much success with groper on these crabs?

them there crabs are no 1 bluey bait

you just need a real stiff rod 80lb mono a crabby cut in half no weight in the wash and hang on

it pays to have a good foot hold

i was talking to a well known raider yesterday and it seens the same big bluey smashed both off us at the joey on numerus times

short and sweet but what a rush

gary

G'day Juzza, I havve never used those sort of crabs for bait, when I go for a Groper I use RED ROCK CRABS , I gather them from the rock pools and crevaces right at the waters edge around the rock platforms, but yes they do look like a tasty morsel for a fish. Here is a pic of a red rock crab. Cheers Mate...

post-3371-1222677201_thumb.jpg

I use these to catch groper =D...these are the red rock crabs right? But what are the crabs that are red that look similar to green and black crabs that run really fast?

post-6561-1222663394_thumb.jpg

Justin :1fishing1:

We have those crabs pictured here. During certain times of the month, possibly moon phases, they are everywhere.

They run across the road and are easily collected.

Fresh dessicated coconut stuffed in their carapaces, make a delectable morsel.

Average size here is about 150mm.

Yummy!!!

Yes i have caught a few groper on them =D

But i find the 'real' red rock crabs are really hard to catch...unless i feel like going for a swim...or sacrificing my hand to those insane green eels with fang like teeth.

Well, its happened to my uncle once when i was up north with him fishing for groper...he went for the crab...and the eel came up for his hand...and Guess what happens next...Endless flow of blood! Was still flowing when we finished our groper session, which was about 6 hours :1yikes:

Heres a pic of one i caught 3 months ago while groper fishing...it was a monster ~80cm caught on half a crab. Usually i just cut the line...but my uncle said they're really good to eat, so i let him keep it. Personally i wouldnt go near the thing, let alone put it in my mouth :biggrin2:

post-6561-1222679830_thumb.jpg

post-6561-1222679858_thumb.jpg