Snelling

Juzza

While practising this new knot of 4kg line, I find that my snell knots are much weaker compared to the improve clinch (This was done experimentally for every knot i tied).

1. Snell (7-8 wraps)- Always snapped near the eye of the hook

- required less force to snap (subjective)

2. Improve clinch (4-5 turns)- always snapped somewhere in the line

- required more force than the snell (subjective)

Is this meant to be right or...am i just tieing it wrong. (i learnt the snell from the fishraider knots page)

Justin :1fishing1:

hi justin,

its a great idea to practice and even test your knots but i would be using some spring scales to get a better judge of break strength of knots....

theres usually different versions of knots also but one thing that i find the best advise is...

* find best % strength knots

* practice the knots

* work out which one you are 100% happy and confident with and use this one..

a lesser % strength well tied knot is better than a poorly tied one...

if i am not 100% happy with my knot i re do till i am..

if that fish of a lifetime comes along you dont want to kick yourself for a bad knot letting you down...

theres a handfull of knots out there and its abit like the holden vs ford debate but following the above rules you should be ok...

as for the snell breaking,try some different line and also another version and see how it does,even someone else to tie it to see any difference...

hope this helps...

cheers...steve....

G'day Juzza,

It's possible that what's happening is your line is being 'cut' at the knot by the sharp end of the hook eye. When you put the rig under pressure snells will/can push against the underside of the eye of the hook and PING!

You could try tying the snell with a slight gap to the eye, or just check the hooks and if necessary find some that have no gap between the end of the eye and shank.

Cheers, Slinky

Yep - I reckon the uni snell is the way to go - my other attempts at snells always ended up with them unravelling somehow!! I never could get it right!!

The uni knot for other hooks (& double uni for joining 2 lines) is also my favourite knot for everything else too! You can tie them in the dark. The harder the fish pulls, the tighter the knot gets. I have not had a line break at the knot yet!

Roberta

G'day Juzza,

It's possible that what's happening is your line is being 'cut' at the knot by the sharp end of the hook eye. You could try tying the snell with a slight gap to the eye, or just check the hooks and if necessary find some that have no gap between the end of the eye and shank.

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Juzza

Whether or not there is a gap or a sharp edge at the eye roll over of a hook and even a blunt edge for that matter which creates a pressure point against metal and prevents the line from stretching properly under pressure, you should bi pass the eye completely and tie your knot directly along the shank and use a stopper at the eye rollover point so as to overcome pressure point problems associated with the eyes of hooks whether they are noticeable from manufacture or not.

To make a good stopper to cushion your knot and have the wraps stretch evenly, tie a separate piece of larger diameter mono using a three half hitch centauri knot and plyer tighten each tend and pull that knot hard up against the eye and then tie your hook and either pull it in tight against the stopper or as Slinky says tie the knot with a gap to the eye . This is a good little trick and sets the hook solid when the hook suddenly slips down the shank. To make a bird of it tighten the main knot wraps very tight against the shank and leave that gap between the knot and the eye, for the knot will slip down the shank and come to a sudden stop and sink the barb deep into the mouth of your fish as the rod comes into play.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Guest Big-Banana

Hi Juzza

Whether or not there is a gap or a sharp edge at the eye roll over of a hook and even a blunt edge for that matter which creates a pressure point against metal and prevents the line from stretching properly under pressure, you should bi pass the eye completely and tie your knot directly along the shank and use a stopper at the eye rollover point so as to overcome pressure point problems associated with the eyes of hooks whether they are noticeable from manufacture or not.

To make a good stopper to cushion your knot and have the wraps stretch evenly, tie a separate piece of larger diameter mono using a three half hitch centauri knot and plyer tighten each tend and pull that knot hard up against the eye and then tie your hook and either pull it in tight against the stopper or as Slinky says tie the knot with a gap to the eye . This is a good little trick and sets the hook solid when the hook suddenly slips down the shank. To make a bird of it tighten the main knot wraps very tight against the shank and leave that gap between the knot and the eye, for the knot will slip down the shank and come to a sudden stop and sink the barb deep into the mouth of your fish as the rod comes into play.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Don't make things harder then they have to...

Thanks everyone!!!

The uni snell is working good, iv just tested it about 10 times. and it doesnt seem to be breaking at the eye as much but within the line itself.

Jewgaffer: i kinda get it, well the 1st and 3rd paragraph, ahahah. I will have to read it again or need someone to show me to get to know how it works. Thanks though!

Justin :1fishing1: