Any Mac Experts Out There?

bullfrog

Have just bought an Apple Mac laptop for my daughters' study, and the salesman said that Macs don't need any anti virus or spyware programmes as they run on a completely different system to the Microsoft PC which we run at home. He saved us a bit of money, but also lost a bit of extra commission from not up-selling us.

We bought it from a reputable dealer and the salesman really seemed to be knowledgeable, but naturally we don't want to have problems in the future.

Just after a second opinion from anyone who is experienced in Macs?, do you think we need anti virus software?

Thanks in advance!

Not much of a MAC expert, but here's my spiel...

I wouldn't say that they don't need security software, but they are certainly less targetted than your standard PC with Internet Explorer browser.

About 87% of web users are PC users. So people investing their time in writing viruses, trojans etc, are naturally going to target their bigger audience. = greater return on investment ultimately!

Anything 'Microsoft' is known to be the most prone and susceptible due to their general development approach. (i.e releasing software that isn't necessarily complete, letting the users feedback into what is wrong with the product and then releasing 'patches' or fixes to all the security loopholes).

All in all, provided you're smart about what you open (basically, if if you weren' expecting it from anyone, don't open it! then you should be fine.

If you're worried about fraud, identity theft etc.. then ALWAYS access your banking or any sites that hold personal/financial details by typing the address in the address bar, or a favourite/bookmark you might have saved.

So in a nutshell, most viruses are written without MAC in mind, and MAC is a much more secure platform. Is Anti-Virus security essential? doesn't hurt...

Don't use Internet Explorer on MAC and you're further minimising risk. Stick to Safari and you should be for the most part fine...

hope this helps in some way...

Edited by throw me a fish

Bullfrog

I have been using Macs since 1984.

Had a Trojan Horse once in the late 80s

Use Safari as a browser and do the Software Security updates - They are FREE and they work.

You will soon wonder how you ever put up with all the crap on a PC!!!

cheers

inhlanzi

Hi Bullfrog

Like Inhlanzi, I've had Macs since the mid 80's & have never had a virus yet!! TOUCH WOOD! I have an older laptop & a 12 month old desktop model .......

Terrific machines! We (Macs) had Windows before Bill Gates even thought about it!! :1yikes:

Seriously - I believe the newest System/Model (G5) has not been breached at all ..... yet!! I guess it only takes one TWIT to try it tho! ??

Keep up with the updates & you should be fine! :) :)

Roberta

With the increasing popularity of Mac's as home P's , you can bet that the numbers of virus's written for them will increase.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking/macs-b...6335624796.html

Just depends on what you will be doing with the PC and if you can afford to have down time, or if you know how to re-build it should you be unfortunate enough to get a virus.

....back when 16meg a ram was considered high tech......

hehehe My first Mac's total storage capacity was 350meg & I was running Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker & Mac Word Processing & the internet on it! Incredible,eh??

Bullfrog - there are a few Aussie & overseas Mac CHat Groups/forums if you want to join up & keep abreast of any queries!

All going well, you shouldn't have any problems, tho! :)

Roberta

You virtually drag & drop everything!

....back when 16meg a ram was considered high tech......

hehehe My first Mac's total storage capacity was 350meg & I was running Photoshop, Illustrator, Pagemaker & Mac Word Processing & the internet on it! Incredible,eh??

Bullfrog - there are a few Aussie & overseas Mac CHat Groups/forums if you want to join up & keep abreast of any queries!

All going well, you shouldn't have any problems, tho! :)

Roberta

You virtually drag & drop everything!

Thanks Roberts,

I didn't think of looking at chat groups. Good call.