Live Baits In The Port Hacking

Kirkyb

Has anyone got some thoughts on which is better - a good size live Potty Mullet V's a live yakka in the Port Hacking(or any other river system) when fishing for big bream & flathead (& possibly Jewies). I always seem to go great on the mullet but not so good on the yakkas - However yakkas seem to be the main live bait everyone talks about -other then squid - but I have all but given up on the squid as I seem to put many many hours in chasing them but barely ever seem to get one - even though I keep spending my cash on expensive japnese jiggs!! many thanks...

Has anyone got some thoughts on which is better - a good size live Potty Mullet V's a live yakka in the Port Hacking(or any other river system) when fishing for big bream & flathead (& possibly Jewies). I always seem to go great on the mullet but not so good on the yakkas - However yakkas seem to be the main live bait everyone talks about -other then squid - but I have all but given up on the squid as I seem to put many many hours in chasing them but barely ever seem to get one - even though I keep spending my cash on expensive japnese jiggs!! many thanks...

mate, poddys in the river for flattys are the go and i have also had alot of luck on live garfish if you can find them in the hacking. i have never seen one in the hacking

mate, poddys in the river for flattys are the go and i have also had alot of luck on live garfish if you can find them in the hacking. i have never seen one in the hacking

Poddies definately for the flatties and bream.

From time to time there are gars on the flats at maianbar and sometimes over the weed in Gunnamatta. When I have got onto them but they dont get used a livies they come home for a feed.

Dave

Thanks... I have never seen garfish in the hacking either... but when I was a very young kid we used to fish for them in the rock pool at Tuncurry and many of the old blokes fishing off the breakwall would buy them off us to use as live baits off the breakwall there at night - never saw them catch anything as we were in bed by then... So know I know it was probably big flathead they were after... Cheers.

Heyy Mate, Im going to sent you a pm but your inbox is full, if you could delate some messages & make some room i can pm you a good spot for garfish in port hacking :thumbup:

That would be great - should be OK now...

In the Hacking I've actually had more success with fresh butterflied yakka than live yakka when going for flatties

Will give em a tray.. thks

up towards northwest arm i always get garfish in my chicken feed burley trail. There are plenty of garfish around though you have to work for them.

when i go fishing in the hacking i bring the poddy mullet with me that i catch in the georges. Where is it ideal to catch poddys in the hacking?

up towards northwest arm i always get garfish in my chicken feed burley trail. There are plenty of garfish around though you have to work for them.

when i go fishing in the hacking i bring the poddy mullet with me that i catch in the georges. Where is it ideal to catch poddys in the hacking?

Hi Tumra Swallow Rock wharf is where I pick up my mullet bait. They school up in thousands around the wharf as the tide runs up. Also a good place to start off is directly across the river around the mangroves where you can get among the flathead that feed off the fry and a struggling poddy would be a luxury.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

In the Hacking I've actually had more success with fresh butterflied yakka than live yakka when going for flatties

Thanks for the advice... just to clarrify...Butterflied ? - Does this mean fillets or do you mean just running a knife along the top of the fish from head past dorsel fin to open them up a bit so they flap around? Sorry to ask but am very interested to try your method... thanks