Water Police

brickman

hey raiders just saw the news and they reported 54 water police and maritine boats were out checking everyone safety gear in a blitts over the long weekend

i think that must be over the hole off nsw and i still think that's a bit far fetched

but if your like me and plan to hit the water early tomorrow i think you could assume you will be checked

just a heads up cherrs gary

hey raiders just saw the news and they reported 54 water police and maritine boats were out checking everyone safety gear in a blitts over the long weekend

i think that must be over the hole off nsw and i still think that's a bit far fetched

but if your like me and plan to hit the water early tomorrow i think you could assume you will be checked

Local Maritime in Brisbane Waters was doing checks today, looking had pfd's and other safety gear as well as licence. In the time I was watching him he had checked quite a few boats.

Keep it safe out there. Just after he left, I saw a speedboat blaze through a narrow 8knot channel, so hopefully they will catch some of the idiots who risk our lives as well as their own.

Cheers

Had the maritime do a check on me last saturday night at seven thirty ,they informed me i must travel with white masthead light on at all times not only when at anchor , white light must be visable for 360 degrees. On tuesday received a official warning notice through the post . cheers Laurie.

I have never been checked when fishing saltwater so far, but I was checked on a fresh water dam this year. I was fishing near the dam wall at Lake windermere of all places. Had all my gear checked, including my boat drivers licence by maritime. I was given a verbal warning as I left my boat drivers licence in my tent at the camp site. Never thought of having my licence on me in a fresh water dam. Never make that mistake again. Good to see they are out and about.

Guest Big-Banana

Problem is that they mostly nab the blokes who have made an honest mistake and not the actual d*ckheads who are in the wrong.

I've always got all the right gear, but some of the stories I've heard are pure bullsh*t revenue raising tirades and a real way to put a dampener on a good fishing trip. :1badmood:

hey raider we saw some think on sunday arvo that's well overdue

on the way home marintine boat at gladsville bridge nailing every one not slowing to 4kn

they were sitting head on so you could'nt tell who they were

in the time it took to get through the no wash zone they had 3 ABOUT TIME

you would think they would set up cameras in the no wash zones then they would raise some big bucks

i always woundered why the no wash zone at gb is only on the snobby marina side off the bridge :074:

does anyone know why the river cats do'nt slow down in the no wash zones or even under the bridges they go under

just an observation the wash from the rivercats comes 4.2 in length from water level up my local ramp at whalf road

this is on the right hand side as your looking down the ramp[2 car ramp]

gary

The rivercats break speed and no wash rules every day and nothing gets done, I don't recall reading anywhere that public transport of any type is allowed to exceed the speed and regulations of any area.

When it comes to limited speed zones and no wash zones a rivercat is no different than any other boat on the water, the only craft that should be allowed to break the rules are waterways, police and maritime vessels.

Edited by reLapse

cops checked EVERYTHING inc fishing licences and catches.

CFD

Is that right? police checking for undersize fish?...not that i have a problem with that, it's just that i thought checking catch size/bag limits was left to the guys at fisheries [dept of primary industries].

The rivercats break speed and no wash rules every day and nothing gets done, I don't recall reading anywhere that public transport of any type is allowed to exceed the speed and regulations of any area.

I remember [vaguely] when rivercats were first introduced.there was some public criticism about their speed,but goverment's response was [something like]:

1.To limit rivercats speed in no wash zones would make service impractical.

[rivercat was meant to be a fast alternative way to get to the city]

2.Because of their design,rivercats leave little wash at high speed.

[though many people,including "brickman" would disagree!]

I remember [vaguely] when rivercats were first introduced.there was some public criticism about their speed,but goverment's response was [something like]:

1.To limit rivercats speed in no wash zones would make service impractical.

[rivercat was meant to be a fast alternative way to get to the city]

2.Because of their design,rivercats leave little wash at high speed.

[though many people,including "brickman" would disagree!]

It makes it all fall back to money because if they had to slow down to follow the no wash zone and speed limits in certain areas it would mean less trips per day but it would hardly make the service impractical, they would however have to review the time table which they can't keep to at the moment anyway. :074:

Buses have to follow varied speed limits, I can't see rivercats and other types of ferries being impacted as much as one of our major forms of public transport.

As for their wash at high speed the cats must never travel fast enough because I've never seen them "leave little wash at high speed". :074:

Edited by reLapse

i would agree they have a small wash it's the surge from there speed shape and water displacment

next time i go fishing i will take a few pics just for a laugh

1;me standing on the ramp at water level

2;action shots off how far the water comes up

i wil need a detox unit on sand by to wash all the nasty crap off but i'm up for it

funny pics to follow gary

i would agree they have a small wash it's the surge from there speed shape and water displacment

It all falls under the NSW Maritime definition of wash.

http://www.maritime.nsw.gov.au/wash.html

Boat wash is the turbulence created by your boat as it moves through the water. Wash size and influence is affected by the amount of water your boat displaces, the boats speed, it’s planing attitude and other factors such as water depth. This means that a large cruiser moving through the water at 8 knots will displace a large amount of wash - big enough to capsize small dinghies, damage moored boats and contribute to foreshore erosion. A high performance ski boat, however, will create almost no wash when it is planing.

NO WASH signs are placed in areas where wash from vessels can cause damage, injury or annoyance to other vessels, the shoreline or people. Every vessel operator must comply with these signs.

The way you achieve this will depend on the type of boat you are driving, however if in doubt about your vessel’s wash it is recommended that you take the following action:

* as you approach the restricted area, reduce speed;

* at the start of the "NO WASH" zone, take your engine(s) out of gear;

* put the engine(s) back in gear and proceed with the engines giving just enough speed to provide you with steering control; and

* look behind you occasionally, to see if your boat is creating wash. If it is slow down - at a speed just above idle, no boat will produce wash.

When you see a "NO WASH" sign and a speed limit sign, do not automatically assume that you can travel at the maximum speed indicated. It may be necessary for you to travel at a slower speed to ensure your boat is not creating wash.

Clearly the government doesn't read the rules and regulations of their own departments because the rivercats create large amounts of wash at the speeds they travel through the no wash zones.

Edited by reLapse

Hi all,

Yeah i got checked by the Police on Monday whilst drifting at Dobroyd.

They were in that mean black anti terror boat. They checked boat and fishing license and checked my catch in the esky. (squid only)

Funny thing was that i had just finished a beer that was in plain site and they didnt notice or if they did they didnt put me on the bag. I got no problem with it as only ever drink one beer when fishing and thats rarely.

Personally not a fan of boats and alcohol. Different story though when not on a boat or in a car :beersmile:

Police told me that they hadnt seen a keeper fish all day.

I also saw Maritime out there and several other Police boats.

PS Maritime have been checking speed limits at Roseville lately so slow down people. I learnt my lesson recently.

Cheers

Hi all,

Yeah i got checked by the Police on Monday whilst drifting at Dobroyd.

They were in that mean black anti terror boat. They checked boat and fishing license and checked my catch in the esky. (squid only)

Funny thing was that i had just finished a beer that was in plain site and they didnt notice or if they did they didnt put me on the bag. I got no problem with it as only ever drink one beer when fishing and thats rarely.

Personally not a fan of boats and alcohol. Different story though when not on a boat or in a car :beersmile:

Police told me that they hadnt seen a keeper fish all day.

I also saw Maritime out there and several other Police boats.

PS Maritime have been checking speed limits at Roseville lately so slow down people. I learnt my lesson recently.

Cheers

Is Physically drinking alcohol at the helm a crime like I think it is when doing it in a car?? Interesting as I see lots of blokes in cruisers with the Chardy going around?

As long as they don't rush up out of your blind spot and cause a heap of wake I have no probs with the police as long as they are in a good mood not trying to show off to the boss on board. Hopefully they are reasonable to all the reasonable people with warnings but get a bit more serious with the idiots. Must have been a good day if they were being nice. - gettin the overtime perhaps.

Pel

i got a check form the coppers on monday morning,no dramas with that ,there just doin there jobs but when i got my life jacket out from under the bunk that took all of 2 seconds ,i was told that it was no good there and had to be on top of the bunk to make quote(easily accessible)i started to ark up but knew i was on a hyding to nothing ,now are we supposed to leave them lying on the floor so there easy to get to and so they get washed out of the boat if you take a wave and really need them

id rather have the water police on the water checking boats that would control the knobs out there,but is this really necessary

cheers arman

Edited by mr magoo

they have got you there on a tec.point

regarding easy access i store them on the sides in the gunle i think it called

that seems to be the second question they ask so i wipe it out and give them a good look,all off 2 seconds

the next is the bucket and rope thing

i must admit there is one police woman that does the night shift around middle head that can check me as many times as she likes very polite and curtous and well just a real nice person :biggrin2::1yikes:

gary

The more out there the merrier I say. Catch the half wits that put our life & there own at risk and we will all have a better day.

Regards Jeff

I've refused to let the police to check my catch before on the basis that it's not their job to monitor catches and they went on their way.

I'd rather have the proper authorities check my catches as I'd feel much safer in the hands of someone whose job it is to do these things.

police are police. they can do anything

No they can't, they have limited power and they exceed it because the public is ignorant and the more people who inform themselves and stand up to them the better.

Edited by reLapse

Would have to read the act but I believe police have the right to check your catch . I remember something about fisheries authorising officers other than their own. I know some police have had fisheries instruction. The only thing is that in regards to a posession of a net or a fish description or something like that they would be better off calling in fisheries as if it went to court a trained fisheries person is more likely to identify a fish correctly.

In yachts for racing we do a club safety check of all equipment every 6 months and spot checks as well . In 20 years racing on the harbour I have never been safety checked on a yacht. Equipment used to be forced to be labled so it couldn't migrate between boats as well. Be nice if they would do a sticker like they used to years ago to say you have been checked so you don't get disturbed several times a day when fishing. With so many new officers it seems that they don't know the regular boats on the harbour any more so still persist ticking boxes. I explained the safety check to a younger officer who was persistant one day and he had never heard of it. The yacht clubs and association regularly invite police and other departments to talks , safety days, and training days and I think that contact makes a big difference to the attitude you get when on the water. Shame fishing and small powerboating doesn't have a similar relationship for smaller boats or club structure apart from game fishing or competition skiing so it is recognised that there are plenty of common sense people who actually are trying to do the right thing. I guess whith Yachts labled on their stern with the season safety sticker and club name they are pretty comfortable with it having been checked by the club so spend their time focusing on smaller tinnys and fishing boats. Hence the number of times you get checked.

Not that there is a quota Ha ha ha but some time of the day are likely to be checked more as like all of they would want to get their "not quota"number done early so they can get on with watever else they do and it is much easier to check anchored boats in sheltered areas- guess that means fishing boats.

We keep a typed master list of all safety equipment on the boat and it's expiry dates and the last time we checked it. We initial and date it when we check it or use something from the medical kit and replace it. Each safety equipment container has a list of what is inside of it on a laminated label. Makes a quick job when they approach and also a good check as several family members use the same boat so the same sheet has oil , fuel ,water and battery checks listed as well. Most people who have been through offshaore sail training or commercial OH&S get use to a boat log and equipment register and checking it as part of the boating routine.

Without a list we found things like whistles, torch batteries, bits from the medical kit and such were used, going missing , lost or damaged ad we never got around to replacing them.

If jacket is under a seat and outside has a label saying life jacket I would consider that accessable. On the deck I would consder dangerous to me and other boats. Where exactly were the polices life jackets??? Whoops - don't back chat son!!!! ON ferrys they are under seats , behind panels or mesh. Perhaps they could explain that? Were they wearing theirs or was it a bit hot and they didn't want the rash from the harness or wear marks on their ironed shirts?

The act on readily accessable with no definition.

http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/viewtop/...quipment)%22)))

Nice and I don't care when done without attitude and very bad relations when they are all gun ho officious morons be it police , maritime or fisheries - I don't care how bad their day is they should be professionals.

Pel

Edited by pelican