Georges River - Help Needed

novice

G'day raiders,

I am taking my boys (8 and 7and maybe the little girlie ...she's 3) out for a fish this week after work one day, and going to put in at Chipping norton (off newbridge road near the flower power).

I don't know this river at all.....nada.....zilch.....

Are there any spots i should try, or any sugestions or advice someone can offer ????

Plan to target.....um...fish......nothing in particular, as I am still learning how to target a specific spiecies (as the name suggests). I have a relatively large boat, so getting into some tight and shallow spots isn't too easy.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Taps.

PS - Anyone willing to teach me some stuff about "real" fishing ???? I can provide the boat, if someone can provide the lesson. I want to learn how and where to catch live bait, how to use them and where.

I know there are DVD's, but hands on experience is by far the best way to learn.....Cheers.

I am no fisherman based on my catch record but know the river reasonably well.

1 Make sure of your Markers as comming down river from Deepwater Motor Boat Club you MUST Zig Zag through them or you WILL find he rocks.

2 Your younger kids will love the sand flats at low tide at the Moons (Just upstream of Lugarno). You will see lots of fisherman in the deep channel. (Use your markers again)

We have has fair success drifting between the boats at Lugarno

Flower Power is a reasonable ramp

Como Marina serves great coffee

That's a serious drive from Winston Hills.

I think I'd be looking at putting in at Georges River National Park if I was travelling that far and weren't familiar with the Georges. At least from there you would be fishing at the Moons, Lugarno, Oatley or Como areas within minutes. Not only that, but a lot less distance of unfamiliar river to navigate.

As David says, a lot of fun can be had by all at low tide around the moons - used to get a good supply of nippers there - don't know if they are still there though - maybe other raiders could advise.

Good Luck

Dont use this boat ramp, its very slippery and theres the hidden bonus of bumping into a dumped car in the river or stepping on a syringe !, and most of the way down to Alfords point is 4 or 8 knot zones which can be painfull !

As previously suggested if your comign form Winston Hills put in at Georges National Park at Revesby, it will cost ya $7 but the ramp and parking is much better, and from there you are only 20 mins or so from Botany Bay if you wish to venture that far down !

Those rocks at the Zig Zag at Milperra hurt, we hit them at 100km/h in a Haines ProStrike, ripped the stainless prop to shreds and bent the internal shafts which meant a rebuild.

I have always found the area up around Milperra, the Newbridge Rd bridge, the zig zag etc and the shorlines in between to produce good number of fish. The area down around the Nat. Park can be a pain sometimes and harder to fish due to the increased boat traffic down that way.