Fishing Plan For The Hawkesbury This Weekend 11-12/10/08

jewgaffer

Hi Everyone.

Gary (Brickman) and myself will be doing a general session on the Hawkesbury over the weekend in Gary's 5 1/2 metre cuddy cab . Hopefully we can post a good report back to you on the state of the fishing in the Hawkesbury at the moment. The water looks very good up there, the best it's looked for a good while now.

Conditions wise, this weekend in my opinion couldn't be much better for a good go at anything decent that's likely to have come in to the Hawkesbury and the Sydney area over the past week or so.

The areas we'll be covering will include the mouth section, lower Pittwater, close in at Broken Bay, and maybe a quick go in early Cowan, and later on upriver as far as Bar Point and just inside Berowra Waters. Thus, for report purposes we'll be certainly covering a wide area and fishing for quite a few different species.

We won't be dilly dallying around. We'll be having a good go at everything respectable that swims including the Salmon that have been active between Barranjoey and Box Head and the big calamari squid that have been caught up in Pittwater lately.

We'll be starting off at Brooklyn at sun up and fishing thru till early Sunday afternoon. Knowing Gary, we won't be leaving if the fish are on the bite. We might even fish all around the moored boats in Parsley Bay on the way in and report back on that area as well as everywhere else we fish.

I'm not going to concentrate on just spreading all the rods out for jewfish until the afternoon and will have a try near the mouth probably at the back of Flint and Steel reef first off.

It might still be a little early to do really well in general, still Flathead, Bream, Trevally and Salmon have been caught over the past week and I'm confident of getting Gary amongst a few fish in his first session in the river proper, after Gary's many years of grinding away in all types of fishing, in places which include all over the Harbour and Longreef, Barranjoey Headland off the rocks, and just about everywhere you can think of along the coast.

In my opinion we need a heatwave for a week or so and then some genuine spring weather to bring the fish to Sydney in good numbers. I believe, due to the cold conditions from Autumn to the end of winter and lasting into early spring, the fish migrated elsewhere and in general stayed away from the Sydney area, and particularly the Hawkesbury where the river receives cold upon cold from the Blue Mountains.

I've mainly had jewfish on my mind in the Sydney area, so we'll see what happens this weekend after spending a good deal of time fishing for other species as well.

I've got a different game plan in mind this weekend. I'm going to get hold of some Nuclear Chicken sp/s today to get a respectable catch of flathead first off and concentrate on the jewfish later.

These Nuclear Chicken fry and shrimp lures have been taking yellowtail and flounder as well as flathead. These particular lures are becoming the favourite soft plastic for awaiting flathead.

They are doing better than dead bait, and I reckon flathead's brains are geared for grabbing small fish that are swimming close to where they are hiding in the shallows and they are not focussed on other offerings in that mode, and especially in clearer water than it has been. These sp/s also work well when flathead are hunting or fossicking, I believe.

When I'm not using bait I mainly fish hardbodies up north and I've got plenty of 8lb braid, so I'll give these Nuclear Chickens a good go for all the time we'll be there.

As soon as we leave Brooklyn we'll drift fish over the flathead nests in the bays and shallows in the main river along the way to Pittwater for our squid session. From there we'll anchor near the headlands where Tailor, Yellowtail, good size bream, and trevally have been caught lately and we'll use thin squid strips and peeled Hawkesbury prawns.

Today Salmon have been again on the run and moving off quickly and popping up every hundred metres or so. Gary and I will spin a few harbodies on extra light gear for a bit of fun until we get a enough to fillet for alertative bait for the jewfish part of our session.

After fishing the headlands, we'll anchor off a reef inside Broken Bay for a couple of hours, again using squid strips and large size peeled Hawkesbury prawns, but will have one jewfish rod out the back all the same.

We'll try Flint and Steel for jewfish in the early afternoon during the run in and then have another go on the sp/s in the shallows between Wobby and Juno, and we'll have a go at the bream around the leases just upriver from the Wobby houses.

After that it will be full steam ahead to the mouth of Berowra to settle in for the late afternoon and the early to mid evening part of the jewfish session. Might spend an hour or so before that at one of the Bridges on the way to Berowra, but won't be anchoring overnight and fishing for jewfish at any of the bridges. I've got better spots to try overnight, that's for sure.

I hope to be able to post up a decent Hawkesbury report. My object is to bag out on general species first and then concentrate on jewfish after that's been accomplished. Since the cold weather in Autumn this year, fishing for jewfish or anything else in the deepwater and only catching cold blooded freaks has hardly been worth the trouble.

Good luck to everyone else who will be out fishing this weekend.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

that's more info than you gave me byron :1yikes:

seriously will be a pleasure fishing with a jewy god i'm not worthy :074:

my plan is to fish however byron wishes to fish as i have very little experiance at boat fishing the hawks

and it will be very interesting to watch and learn

cherrs gary

Trust me Mariner 31 if you know Byron that is just an appetiser... :biggrin2:

:074: If the report is anything like the "pre-match" preliminary pep talk that has occurred, then I think we need to contact Sydney Fish market to be on standby!

I would love to be that organised, and confident!!!

I am certain we are going to see a "kill" of mass preportions with this much organising and expertise.

Can't wait to see the carnage that these Gurus create. :wacko:

Byron, you wizzard, I know you are going to blitz them.

Tight Lines.

I will by after a jew in the upper reaches on sunday night, i will give a report on monday- look forward to comparing notes!

tight lines

T'n'K

The flathead part of the excersize went according to game plan to a satisfactory extent but I kept on thinking how much jewfish time we were missing. I can't say enough about the sp/s we were using for stirring up buried Flathead into taking lures.

Congratulations to my capable partner and fellow bait fisherman Gary Brickman for his first hook up on soft plastics. :thumbup: Gary was over the moon and I'm sure he'll be considering the benefits of using sp lures on flathead just as much as I will in the future. Well done to Gary, who's a deserved gold member and simply put, a golden person as well.

In the upriver part of the jewfish session a jewfish succumbed to an oversize squid on one of my Ugly Stik Tiger Rods.

Actually I was too patient with this jewfish and near killed him by letting him fight against 80lb braid on tight drag for about half an hour in what appeared to be just a series of rod bends, before I lifted the rod out of the rod holder. I let him head shake for so long as I wasn't convinced he had taken the hooks, only to find that my trailing hook had penetrated the back of his skull.

Anyway Gary has the pics in his mobile and I'll do a report tomorrow on our two day session on the Hawkesbury.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Tide'n'knots it would be great if you would keep us all informed on the upriver jewfish situation. Do you live close to Wisemans ?

JG

Edited by jewgaffer

well where do i start

what a stayer byron is. i thought i was a stayer fishing 12 hour stints this guy leaves me for dead

byron never stops thinking and knows the hawks like the back off his hand

i will leave the details to byron to report[as he can spell]

but i will say a huge thank you to byron for a great trip and sharing all his little tips and spots

2 firsts for me was a flatty on sp's :yahoo::thumbup:

and the boat has now had a jew on board :thumbup:

i will post some pics after byron does a report

one the way home after fishing for 30 hours straight i asked byron as a joke we should do the harbour[we were on whalf road]

to my shock he said ok lets go i was evern more shocked to relise he was still keen

how does he do it i slept for 14 hour straight

truly a great fisherman and an pleasure to fish with

if any raider get a chance to fish with byron gab it with both hands you will learn more about jew fishing

than all the books will ever teach you

cherrs gary