Fuel Filter

achjimmy

Going to tidy up the transom so I can fit another battery in. Was considering moving the fuel filter from under the transom gunnels to the outside in the engine well, and change it to the type with clear water separator bowl. I always spill fuel changing it and thought outside would be handier. Is there an obvious downside to this I am missing?

Going to tidy up the transom so I can fit another battery in. Was considering moving the fuel filter from under the transom gunnels to the outside in the engine well, and change it to the type with clear water separator bowl. I always spill fuel changing it and thought outside would be handier. Is there an obvious downside to this I am missing?

Here's a photo of the location of my fuel filter - in the transom.

I have since changed it for a unit with the glass bowl and drain as you mentioned.

In my view, there is really no point having the glass bowl unit if it is not in a location that is clearly visible.

Good question, I am looking to install one myself very soon.Only probs I can see are possible breaking of the glass bowl in some clumsy gaffing atempt or maybe fuel vaporisation on a hot summers day. Just curious, what brand did you go with and are they expensive? :1fishing1:

Hi Guys, there is nothing wrong with putting the filter on the outside of the hull, the only issue will be that it is in a worse environment and the the filter head tends to corrode more. If you want the best you can get the complete kit with a SST head, but it costs. Prices range from $50 thru to $130.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Guys, there is nothing wrong with putting the filter on the outside of the hull, the only issue will be that it is in a worse environment and the the filter head tends to corrode more. If you want the best you can get the complete kit with a SST head, but it costs. Prices range from $50 thru to $130.

Cheers,

Huey.

Yeah i thought about that Huey, but where the current one is tucked up under the Transom it has corroded badly as it probaly doesnt get washed that often and i figured that at least being exposed at the back it will get washed every outing when i wash the boat down?

I think the SST option would be best, I dont think that diecast alloy is ever going to resist corrosion from the salt?