A Few More Bensville Flatties And Fly Fishing

Ray R

Hi Raiders, just taking a quick breather from the Bathurst 1000 so I'm doing my post from this morning.

Hutcho and I went out early again, straight around to Bensville channel, another beaut morning , no wind and the water was glassy, started flicking the placcies with the same technique as Friday and the flatties came out to play, Hutcho got a nice one on his fifth cast and then I got one and then Hutcho another. We dropped a couple of good ones too, that's normal though and a couple of small ones that were returned.

Hutch then got a nice little bream and also a whiting, we kept the bream and returned the whiting.

Hutch then spotted a turtle playing around in the channel so it was a fun morning at Bensville.

At about 9:00am we headed back towards Kincumber at stopped for a few flicks up towards the channel markers at the top of the Kincumber Broadwater, this was an interesting quick stop as we saw a guy Fly Fishing well sort of ,(the pic will explain my humour) , and I hooked something quite sizeable, this thing peeled 20 meters or so off the little Stradic and thought it was a big flattie , but as I slowly started winning the battle we could it was a huge Long Tom, he gave me a really good fight and he was worthy of a few pics and a welcome release back into the drink.

We got got in about 10.00am, a quick cuppa at my place, Hutcho went home to Copa, and I settled myself in to watch the big race.

When you look at the pics you realise how lucky we are.. Cheers Raiders hope you enjoy the story and pics...

post-3371-1223778424_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778443_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778464_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778488_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778508_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778540_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778565_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778744_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1223778833_thumb.jpg

What a cracka of a day, how smooth is that water and good fish to boot. The LT is something out of a mini jaws movie. If my kids saw that when they were swimming they'd never go in again. We catch a few a Forster each year.

Hutch I hope your still go for a few Sydney Hot Spots in Nov. If you keep cathing them like that you'll be on fire. I haven't wet a line in the salt since March.

Great report gents.

Brian P.

PS: Ray, Go the Fords!!!!!!

Your reports feature some terrific photos, Ray. The long tom is a ripper! Another top day on the water, and some fresh flattie fillets for the family. Ahhhh....another great day on the water! Good to see the gloves making regular appearances in the photos :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

They're some nice flatties there Ray, and the long tom is enormous!

Just a quick question, is the Bensville channel the channel that basically connects the Broadwater with Cockle Channel (Davistown frontage)?

Edited by Bulldog73

They're some nice flatties there Ray, and the long tom is enormous!

Just a quick question, is the Bensville channel the channel that basically connects the Broadwater with Cockle Channel (Davistown frontage)?

Yeah thats right , we call it the Bensville channel only because Bensville is to the left (going towards Empire Bay), Davo on the right. It is a nice little stretch of water..

Cheers

Great posts those ones – lived & fished that area heaps over about 12 years, lots of which was pre squidgies – so Mr Twisters and poddy mullet were the go then for the flathead (and don't those big longtoms love your hard earned poddies in the summer :mad3:). Had a couple of accidental finger burning encounters on me handlines with the resident turtles too - never landed one for a photo though!

Getting a bit nostalgic reading about all your sessions - but it's great to see - keep up the good work... :1fishing1:

Cheers!

Woohoo! That is a horse of a Longtom, Ray! Incredible! The last one I caught anywhere near that size ended up forcing 2 of the treble barbs into my fingers (whilst still attached) and also caused my rod & reel to be dunked in salt water whilst trying to sort out how to get the mongrel off!!! :1yikes:

Well done - it is a terrific mongrel!! A great mixed bag between the 2 of you! Great!

Roberta