Outrigger Advice

I'm planning to put outriggers on my 20' boat. I know how you "get what you pay for" and all that, and I own some top end gear too. Also I own some cheap stuff where expense is just not justified, IMHO! With outriggers, can anybody tell me what I am actually getting if I buy say Reelax or similar.... if you look at ebay for example some much cheaper options still use reelax mounts etc, so I don't see why the poles should cost so much? Do I need to spend that much money just to hold a skirt out to tempt a SBT???? "Preciate ya help.

Hey mate,

i agree totally and can say the best poles i have used are "kilwell" made in new zealand, these

are imported through Wilson tackle in QLD and most wilson distributors can get them, to put into perspective

these poles i now run there longreach 700 which are a seven meter pole, i dont run spreaders on these pole and havent found to much they wont tow, and for $640 for 2 blanks to my door (not even half the cost of one pole from the others).

Thanks all... all I will be doing is trolling for tuna (SBT) and not big fish, I guess 30kg would be the biggest expected. If I got a 100kg one and smashed everthing I think I'd still be happy! Do I need a top quality product to do this?

(Will check out Kilwell thanks Joe, they make a very nice fly rod for the money too)

Thanks all... all I will be doing is trolling for tuna (SBT) and not big fish, I guess 30kg would be the biggest expected. If I got a 100kg one and smashed everthing I think I'd still be happy! Do I need a top quality product to do this?

(Will check out Kilwell thanks Joe, they make a very nice fly rod for the money too)

Wilcara, you need not worry about breaking the outriggers unless you forget to put them down when your trailering your boat.

Outrigger clips have adjustable tension settings, and / or hold the line by an elastic band. Unless you had a seized clip (which meant you wouldn't be able to insert the line anyway) you would be hard pressed to "smash" them.

Its not that you are going to break them, its how easy they are to work with and how reliable they are is the bigger issue. Quality of the hardware as well. I picked up some second hand ones off ebay so you just need to keep your eyes open as they turn up every now and again. Still cost me $600 though.

Also forgot to mention kilwell are the only people in the southern hemisphere that can do a 4.75 meter single section wrap ( 1 piece pole) and they make there longer poles by using a parrellel base section of 46mm, thickness varies with taper from 3mm to 4.5mm IMHO the aussie poles might as well be made of pvc conduit compared to these poles.

• 3 weeks later...