School Holidays

Tiger Cam

I took the last week of the recent school holidays off for some FFR&R (fishing, family, rest & recreation) :1fishing1::beersmile: . We had booked a cabin at Soldiers Point for 3 nights / 4 days with friends who also have a boat. I have never been to Port Stephens before and was impressed by its beautiful waterways.

post-8021-1224162501_thumb.jpg post-8021-1224163134_thumb.jpg

I wandered into the renowned tackle shop at Salamander Bay anxious to hear from the owner a few yarns about fishing in the area. Unfortunately he went to NQ on a fishing holiday! :( The young bloke there suggested that the deep holes around Middle Island and the old bridge piers at Karuah hold jewies. I purchase some squid and some SP’s in anticipation of the following morning’s expedition. :biggrinthumb:

Later that afternoon while everyone else was watching Manly cane the Storm, I wandered down for a landbased fish. Using two rods, one with prawns the other flickin’ SP’s I was hoping for my first holiday catch. After 15 minutes a young girl and his Dad rock up to do the same. First cast the 10yo latches onto a whiting while I’m untangling my lines. :wacko: I persevere and later score a small whiting as well on prawns. By this stage its Manly 40 ….Storm 0 – who really cares! Fortunately the 10yo wasn’t giving me the same flogging.

The weather unfortunately didn’t read my holiday script as I awoke to rain and wind :1badmood: – no matter I’m still heading out. Launch on the western side of Soldiers Point. and travel about all of a 100m north and toss out the squid and start drifting east. The water in this vicinity goes to 43m according to my sounder ….. there’s gotta be a jewie down there with my name on it! Not to be.

Next day there is no rain but the wind is stronger. I’m still determined to catch my prized holiday fish. Unfortunately all I could do was take shelter behind an island and flick some plastics. I’m sure the kookaburras were laughing at me :lol: . Fisheries paid me a visit while I was there and checked my fishing license and my bag – easy …zip.

Last day is the best weather wise and the whole family is on board with my 7yo is determined to mimic her Dad’s cast and retrieve of SP’s…….duck for cover! I enjoy having the family on the boat even if it does mean that I just play deckie while they fish. My :wife: is on fire as she lands fish after fish with live yabbies including these customers.

post-8021-1224164705_thumb.jpg post-8021-1224162694_thumb.jpg

Back to Sydney Wednesday arvo, off to the Shoalhaven Thursday evening. Another magnificent waterway I enjoy everytime I visit the outlaws. Spent 3 days there with terrific weather practising my SP’s. The best catches were a flattie – 37cm and an EP which were both returned to fight another day.

post-8021-1224162796_thumb.jpg post-8021-1224162856_thumb.jpg

Overall not an abundance of fish caught but it was a great few days out with the family with plenty of time on the water to boot.

Cheers,

Cam

Edited by Tiger Cam