Ray And Hutcho Flathead Tournament

Ray R

Hi Raiders, today Hutcho and I had a little comp, Hutcho using Hard Body lures and Ray using SP's.

We started the day off at Patonga (the wall) and we found the flatties quite scarce, we flicked around a couple of likely areas and then smacko, Hutch gets nailed by a big flattie only 10 feet from the boat, this thing goes ballistic so Hutch let him have his way until he settled down a bit and was lead to me with the net at the ready. We got it out of the net and measured it, 65cms a couple of photos and it went into the ice slurry esky.

So I'm thinking ,must be the SPs turn for a flattie , but no Hutch does it again and this one is bigger, he plays the big flattie to boat in true Hutcho style and yes I do the netting again, this one looks to be a returning model so we carefully lay it down on a wet towel , do the measure, 72cms and I do the release honours for Hutch, swam the girl, she splayed her fins, gave a kick and a chew on my thumb and she was off, high fives and we are back into it.

Finally my time did come but it was only a little one at 46cms the SP's not doing to well so far.

We left the wall and went over to the Patonga Creek entrance and I score another little one at 40cms, the SP's and Hard Body lures are equal at this stage.

Okay so time now to see what all those boats are doing around Lion Island , must be 20 or more boats there, we get a bit closer to see that they are all chasing the salmon, there are schools of the things everywhere, we have a couple of flicks and yes the Hard Body and Hutch do it again, he had a lot of fun with this leaping acrobat, I get the net again , into the boat he comes hooks out and he is back in to play with his mates.

We try around Lobster and the Superbank at Ettalong and only managed a couple of small flatties. A few final flicks at Hardys Bay and bugger me Hutcho and his bloody Hard Body scores a nice tailor about 45cms, he goes back in the drink to terrorise the bait fish.

Okay so I got smashed Hutcho and his Hard Body lures cleaned up and is the champ for today, it was a great day on the water, Hutcho's fish were super and wil go into the Ray Hutch Fishing Cronicles.

A great day with a great mate and some great fish..

Cheers Raiders..

post-3371-1224390251_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1224390285_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1224390310_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1224390333_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1224390366_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1224390399_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1224390437_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ray R

Never underestimate the power of the HBs, Ray :074:

Well done to you both. Was Hutcho using SX40s Ray?

Cheers

Hodgey

I really don't know what it was guys , shape was a bit like a blade with a little rattle ball and it was a browny to clear colour, about 50cms long and a clear plastic bib.. This was all he used all day, I tried about 10,000 plastics...

Cheers..

Hey Ray,

Thanks mate for this morning, another great day out with perfect weather. Lucky for me the HP's won the day but I am sure you will return with a vengence next time. Although the subject is a bit rough the photo's were fantastic as usual, note the school hitting the surface in the background in the picture with me fighting the salmon.

I'm just about to cook the fillets. Hodgey was right it was a SX40 I just checked the packet.

Oh Yeah!!!! I won!!!!

Regards, Hutcho :biggrin2:

WOW!! Well done Hutcho on a clean sweep!! I seriously thought the sps would have a good showing! :( However, well done also Ray on superb pics ....again! I just love the sunrise! :thumbup::yahoo:

Hmmmm still haven't added a genuine SX40 to my stable of lures just yet - lots of lookalikes, tho! :) May have to get a real one & see what is different about them!

Looks like a great day out on the water :)

I was up at 5am, going with Keith to the triathlon! He did well, winning his age group & finishing in 4hr 10min (excellent time for the NSW Long Course Champs.)

Cheerio

Roberta

Looks like you had a great day :1fishing1: . Ray, your reports of the fishing around Patonga have wet my appetite. My kombi is due for a cruise, so it looks like I'm heading up to Patonga next weekend to camp and fish (landbased). I'm looking forward to it. :yahoo:

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Looks like you had a great day :1fishing1: . Ray, your reports of the fishing around Patonga have wet my appetite. My kombi is due for a cruise, so it looks like I'm heading up to Patonga next weekend to camp and fish (landbased). I'm looking forward to it. :yahoo:

Baz

Hi Baz , heaps of good landbased areas, you have maybe seen my landbased reports , plenty of flatties there.. Cheers

Hi Baz , heaps of good landbased areas, you have maybe seen my landbased reports , plenty of flatties there.. Cheers

I sure have been reading your landbased reports, Ray. I've stocked up on soft plastics and will give them a bash, for sure.

If you see my old white kombi around, say "Hi".

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Great report Ray, you should have tried the "best of three ?" line or discounted Hutcho's catch based on the lure cost etc, with SX40's going for $15-20 they are just a bit more than plastics.

Good on ya Hutcho, I think you might have set Ray up there; not letting on you were going to use such a well known fishcatcher.

People will be out looking at SX40's now, omly problems as always is which colour to buy ?

Cheers

Hi Ray,

Firstly fantastic catch of flatties today. I have a place at Killcare and fish most weekends and would really appreciate your advice where to fish in the Hardys Bay/Kincumber/Ettalong area for flatties, both landbased on out on a tinnie - I just cant seem to find them. I used soft plastics and no luck, am I best to use bait seeing I am a novice?

Cheers,

Kate

Great report Ray,I'm sure youve wetted everyone apertite to go hunting for lizards around Patonga.

One question,which ramp is that in the photo?

Jeff

G'day Jeff, that's the Pretty Beach boat ramp.. Cheers..

Interesting report Ray. I was wondering, does Hutcho use hard body lures because he has a "hard body"? And do you use soft plastics because ... :074:

Seriously though, an excellent report. Fantastic photos (as usual). Great to see two good mates having a friendly competition. There were some terrific fish caught so there's no doubt you both are big winners!

Cheers

Peter

Interesting report Ray. I was wondering, does Hutcho use hard body lures because he has a "hard body"? And do you use soft plastics because ... :074:

Cheers

Peter

Good one Pete and yes I do have a fair portion of SP around the mid section.. Cheers Mate.. :074:

Hi Ray,

Firstly fantastic catch of flatties today. I have a place at Killcare and fish most weekends and would really appreciate your advice where to fish in the Hardys Bay/Kincumber/Ettalong area for flatties, both landbased on out on a tinnie - I just cant seem to find them. I used soft plastics and no luck, am I best to use bait seeing I am a novice?

Cheers,

Kate

Welcome to Fishraider Kate, I have sent you PM with some info.. Cheers

Hey Ray and Hutcho you guys have started a SX40 tsunami

I had no idea about SX40s but after seeing this post and the posts about which colour to use

I still dont know much about them but know that I HAVE TO GET SOME - just in case !!!

They sound deadly - both on the fish and my wallet

Look forward to updates on the tournament rounds 2,3... etc

Will the plastics catch up??

Seriously I think it is great to find out about new stuff so you can mix it up a bit next outing if the fish seem quiet - try plastic - sx40 - bait - etc