Overseas Tackle?

Josh88

Hey guys,

Bday and Christmas are only days apart for me and with them approaching my parents want to know what i'm after. I've been doing a lot of web-surfing of tackle shops in both america and japan looking for some good bargains and i've found quite a few, like Daiwa Certate for $350 compared to the $550++ it can be in AUS.

What i'd like to know is has anyone bought tackle over the net from countries like Japan/USA and how safe would you rate it + the chance if it breaks and warranty issues etc...

Any other info on this topic is greatly appreciated. :thumbup:

Cheers

Josh

Ive purchased plenty of gear from o/s that cant be found in AUS. Never had any issues, though with the dollar where it is at the moment the saving isnt as big as it used to be. Most of those places send things registered and insured so you dont have any problems.

I just spent USD$196 yesterday from a guy who specializes in closeouts, overstocks, repos & discontinued etc. Good gear too. Rapala, Storm, 7strand, Mustad, Sampo etc

I estimated the $AUD value to be well over $400, even with the shitty exchange rate. PM if you want the details.

PS I wouldn't object if you PM'd me about the Certate deal :biggrin2: hmmyeah!

Jig

I have purchased several high end reels from OS, Japan,Singapore.

If the dealer is reputable I don't believe you will have any issues.

The warranty is an issue, and I understand it would have to be returned to country of origin.

Which is OK if you never need to use it. (the warranty that is)

I know we should support our local retailers and I generally do but with a 30 to 40% variance in price on big ticket items its hard to justify not spending OS.

PM if you want any info

Beware the warranty trap. I know a lot of Raiders buy overseas and save money but there's no way I'd save a hundred bucks of a reel that still costs hundreds, when I don't get a warranty with it that will be honored locally. I don't expect top quality gear to go wrong... but I don't expect my house to burn down either. I still pay for insurance though. My 2 cents worth, without even going into the issues around supporting local businesses.

A reminder to all also to be careful with this discussion. We have sponsors who generously support this site so we can all chat to each other so do NOT post any links, names or details of any businesses that are in competition with them.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Josh,

Due to my locality, and the lack of tackle available here, I buy all my tackle from O/S.

O/S albeit being Australia, but still issues pop up from time to time.

I have purchased quite a bit of gear from fellow Raiders and a significant amount from stores in Australia.

To date, once co-ordinated, my purchases have gone very smoothly.

I think you need to look outside the circle a little if you are looking for more responses and information to your question.

That is, have people purchased other products from Japan / USA etc, and was their warranty honoured on their purchase.

I have only had one warranty concern and that was on a satellite phone purchased from UK. I sent the unit back to UK (at my cost) and it was in fact replaced with a new unit and the return freight was met by them.

I think it may be worth asking the question of the provider when you make initial enquiries, or would they offer a discount if no warranty cover was applicable.

Hope this is of some info.

Cheers

Mariner.

I have to agree with Slinky on this front.

I think if you build up a relationship with your local tackle store it's definitley better long term. You end up with the right advice, you know what you are paying for and will most often get a discount anyway if you are a regular customer.

I did my one and only purchase online for a mid-priced threadline and although it's fine, it's got a bit of a differnt play on it than the ones i tried in the tackle store.

Maybe i'm being a bit paranoid but i think every rod and reel has it's own very subtle difference. Thats why i like to have a play with the exact outfit i'm going to buy before i fork over the big $.

(Of course supporting local busines is very important but we won't go there).

Jake

I buy all on my reels o/s and the rest of my tackle locally.

I have bought Downriggers, Stellas, Tiagra's, Fireblood's and even top quality rods....

I have had atleast 100 Transactions with overseas......Saved probably about a Minimum of $200 per purchase.....

And recently one of the Tiagra's had an issue and i took it to Shimano and they fixed it under warranty even though it was a o/s model....

The same thing happened to a mate with a certate 2000....

I get my savings oversea's and still support local stores by spending $$$$$ here in Oz on Lures, Line, Gear in general.....to me....anyone who buys top end gear locally is crazy....

I bought 2 x Electric Scotty downriggers from the states for $430 AU each delivered to my door when the dollar was strong..........

Here the same rigger is $1100 ......I c ant even buy a manual here for that price

As others have said, I also buy most of my big items from OS. Rods, Reels, Downriggers etc have all showed up at my door with no issues. I have had my saltiga Z30 fixed by Daiwa australia under waranty even though i bought it OS. I think that the companies like Daiwa and Shimano dont want any bad press over their service and product on their top end stuff.

Food for thought

There are still savings but no where near where they were earlier this year and up untill recently.

Just got to do your own conversions and compare with local i supose.

The bad thing is that Locally the shops were making a killing, Now not so because they will be paying more for their products.. will this be passed onto us??? I think yes.....

I am closing this topic. Fair discussion is one thing but starting to criticise local businesses is unwarranted, and speaking as someone who has some inside knowledge of the local tackle industry... based on that last comment, not accurate. Enough is enough.

Slinky