Heaps Of Birds Working The Surface In The Main Harbour!

sebastian

Hey all, long time no post!!!

Just thought i should post something up, ive worked almost every day for the last week and a half and i can clearly see the main harbour from work.

each time ive been at work, ive seen birds working the surface and baitfish being raped every single day!! not a once off or anything, we're talking almost all day every day, guarentee'd, most ive waited is like 30 mionutes before something happens. Its been happening everywhere from goat island down to fort denison, including under the bridge, near walsh bay wharves, just off blues point, pretty much everywhere, thats about as far as i can see clearly anyways, and sometimes we are talking ALOT of birds too and biggg schools of baitfish, not just a couple, like schools of baitfish and birds smashing them that must be atleast about 15-20 metres accross, and what must be 100+ birds i reckon.

ive been working late days, so from like 11am -> onwards, biggest i saw was yesterday, about 5.30pm, just before it started raining, and thats when i saw the masssssive schools of baitfish and a whole heap of birds.

not really a report cause ive been working and havnt had a chance to go fishing for a while, but just thought i should post up so someone else can catch them!!!

i'd be happy to post more details if anyone wants to ask, so let me know!

p.s. no idea on what fish were underneath, cant see that clearly unfortunately.

Very generous post Sebastian, good on you.

You'll probably now be seeing schools of fishraiders working the schools of fish working the schools of bait... should be a fun show. :074:

Cheers, Slinky

now everyman and his dog will be there, thanks to your post. i dont want to spoil the party but you cant actually fish there. from goat island to fort denison is a no go zone. anyone that fishes there will get drilled by the ferries (there have been deaths there in recent years) and fined by the water police and maritime. the ferry drivers will call them in as soon as you get there. i'd stay well away from those schools until they hit the eastern side of fort denision which will be in a couple of weeks.

Bully,

I don't think the fact that somebody has written a post regarding big bait schools in the harbour will mean that " every man and his dog" will be fishing there. its Sydney Harbour, its always busy and word gets around pretty quick regarding feeding frenzies and surface action.

Just a quick one regarding not being alowed to fish from Goat island to Fort denison, I don't fish the Harbour that mich these days and am struggling to find a legislation or boating map that confirms this, can anyone help out with this???

When I did fish the Harbour a lot (3 - 5) days a week a lot of my breaming was done in this general area, Sure there are Ferries there but if you stay out of there way its all good.

Mitch

The information from Bully is 100% correct. The whole area has been turned into a no stopping, drifting or fishing area due to the accidents in the area. It is called the Sydney Harbour Transit Zone. Only recent charts will have this information included however it is well and truly signposted when you are there.

Also that area is directly under the Harbour Control Tower and they will notify Maritime and Water Police if the Ferries don't beat them to it.

Is almost like the fish know that we're not allowed to fish there and they are spiting us. Oh well we have plently of other areas that we can harrass them in the harbour.

The actual area that this applies is between the Opera House and Kirribilli Point to the east and between Millers Point and Blues Point to the west. Outside that normal rules apply, ie no anchoring in the channel etc.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Marlin repellent

Thanks, that does help a lot. I have heard from a few people about no go zones but have not been on the waterway for too long to notice the changes. At least now I will know that I cant fish the "old Haunts"

Cheers,

Mitch

Edited by mitch

This has been going on now for over a month. And I can tell you 11 boaties have been fined for fishing these schools. Even some well knownen characters in the harbour included :blink: .

Dan

PS I will keep my eyes peeled saturday morning from work for those who fish this school!!! Bring your wallets if you do!!! Maritime are being ruthless and so they should!

Edited by Dan and Greg

I was unaware of this no fishing/drifting etc... in that area and fished in that area between goat island and the bridge about a month or so ago and was fighting a fish and had both water police and maritime drive right past me at the time......

Very generous post Sebastian, good on you.

You'll probably now be seeing schools of fishraiders working the schools of fish working the schools of bait... should be a fun show. :074:

Cheers, Slinky

second that mate good on ya

schools of people working on schools of tailor!!

that says it all, it would be hilarous

PS: this can be done with the same results any night at the spit too!

from now to feb

so no need to risk fines too

seriously anyone working schools in that part of the harbour are struggling in my opinion.

cheers Jimmy

yea pretty obvious you cant fish that area (like directly under the bridge), yet everytime i was there looking out (about 4/5 hours of the day) i could see the birds working, and it was in places u could fish aswell, say near lavender bay, right up against goat island etc, as i saw people fishing there for a good hour or so the other afternoon, they definately didnt get in anyones way, didnt get any fines either (from what i saw)

obviously not intending for people to do anything stupid, but just a bit of info for everyone seeing as i cant get out there!

i took some pics the other day where u can see the fish just under the surface of the water, i will try post them when i get them from work

PEOPLE - YOU CAN WORK THE SCHOOLS, just leave your motor in gear!

There is nothing about No Fishing .. it simply states "No Drifting and No Stopping".

http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/docs/transit_zone.pdf

You would still be drifting if your boats in gear!!! personally i wouldn't risk getting struck down by a Sydney Ferry for a Tailor!!!! Maybe a kingfish. :biggrin2:

PEOPLE - YOU CAN WORK THE SCHOOLS, just leave your motor in gear!

There is nothing about No Fishing .. it simply states "No Drifting and No Stopping".

http://www.waterways.nsw.gov.au/docs/transit_zone.pdf

Hello Daleyboy

A mate and i stopped the water police a few weeks ago and asked about this matter. While i think what you are saying is tecnically correct the water police may not necessarily few it in the same manor. You need to be moving with "purpose" was their remark. It is probably a grey area but i don't think i would take the risk of fishing it while the motor was only in gear.

Cheers