Colour Or Black And White Fish Finders

Dhutchy

Hi Raiders,

I am thinking of upgrading my Humminbird 65x GPS/Sounder for a latest greatest color version. Huckstep in his book suggests mono sounders are dinosaurs. I am hoping someone can tell me, what color version would be a worthy upgrade to and for what price.

Thanks Guys

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps

Edited by Dhutchy

Hi Raiders,

I am thinking of upgrading my Humminbird 65x GPS/Sounder for a latest greatest color version. Huckstep in his book suggests mono sounders are dinosaurs. I am hoping someone can tell me, what color version would be a worthy upgrade to and for what price.

Thanks Guys

Dhutchy

G'day Dhutchy,

I would say that you could spend between $500 up to $3,500 for a good Colour Plotter / Sounder.

Perhaps you could provide the following details to enable other Raiders to give some advice.

What sort of boat will it be going on? (Size / Construction)

Where do you mostly fish? (Estuary / Bay / Outside)

What is you anticipated budget?

Do you also want Chartplotter facilities?

Cheers

Mariner

G'day Dhutchy,

I would say that you could spend between $500 up to $3,500 for a good Colour Plotter / Sounder.

Perhaps you could provide the following details to enable other Raiders to give some advice.

What sort of boat will it be going on? (Size / Construction)

Where do you mostly fish? (Estuary / Bay / Outside)

What is you anticipated budget?

Do you also want Chartplotter facilities?

Cheers

Mariner

Thanks Mariner, good idea...

Boat: 5yo 5M Quintrex Freedom Sport

Where Fish: Cowan/Hawkesbury/Pittwater/Broken Bay

Budget: Under 1,000

Chartplotter: Yes Current system is GPS/Finder/Sounder

Thanks everyone

Dhutchy

Hey mate,

I have a 5m freedom sport and have just installed a Humminbird 787c2i, its a colour combo and I'd have to say its probably the best thing I could have done. I have always been a fan of the humminbird product and I think it is a quality product. I paid just over $1000 but in my opinion it was well worth the cash.

An alternative to this is the Lowrance 527CiDF which sell for around the $900 mark and is also a colour combo. I have owned a couple of Lowrance products and have not really had a problem with them I just prefer the humminbird but each to their own I guess.

Anyways mate I hope this helps,

Bill.

Hey mate,

I have a 5m freedom sport and have just installed a Humminbird 787c2i, its a colour combo and I'd have to say its probably the best thing I could have done. I have always been a fan of the humminbird product and I think it is a quality product. I paid just over $1000 but in my opinion it was well worth the cash.

An alternative to this is the Lowrance 527CiDF which sell for around the $900 mark and is also a colour combo. I have owned a couple of Lowrance products and have not really had a problem with them I just prefer the humminbird but each to their own I guess.

Bill.

Bill thanks for your reply mate. The Humminbird you have installed sounds good. Could I impose upon you to nominate what sets it apart, and why you reckon its worlds above a mono outfit.

Thanks for your time.

Dhutchy

Its not about catching fish, but it helps.

Could I impose upon you to nominate what sets it apart, and why you reckon its worlds above a mono outfit.

Thanks for your time.

Dhutchy

For mine, it's all about bottom recognition.

Differing colours highlight the structure of the bottom - sand, rock, mud, etc.

Cheers

Mariner

Bill thanks for your reply mate. The Humminbird you have installed sounds good. Could I impose upon you to nominate what sets it apart, and why you reckon its worlds above a mono outfit.

Thanks for your time.

Dhutchy

Gday Dhutchy,

Just to let you know I was looking at the lowrance 527CiDF myself. I was informed that lowrance reduced the price on the 527CiDF but if you are thinking of getting one aparently there is a long wait on them as heaps are on back order so you might want to check that if you want to buy one.

Cheers,

joe

The Humminbird has a higher pixel count and therefore produces a higher quality picture, I find this helps with bottom recognition and allows be to determine structure better as mariner mentioned. The Humminbird also has a built in resolution map of Australia waters and this allows for a better quality map when you're not utilising a navionics chart.

Bad news, I've been told all Humminbird and Lowrance finders/combos will be having a price increase very shortly, between 10-15%. I think you'll find that Lowrance 527CiDF has been sold out at a lot of places but if you order one you might still be able to get it at the old price.

Mate the best thing to do would be go into a shop and have a play around with both the Lowrance and Humminbird and find the one that suits you best. I find the Humminbird to be a better quality product and has always worked better for me but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure many people on this site would prefer the lowrance brand.

Bill

The Humminbird has a higher pixel count and therefore produces a higher quality picture, I find this helps with bottom recognition and allows be to determine structure better as mariner mentioned. The Humminbird also has a built in resolution map of Australia waters and this allows for a better quality map when you're not utilising a navionics chart.

Bad news, I've been told all Humminbird and Lowrance finders/combos will be having a price increase very shortly, between 10-15%. I think you'll find that Lowrance 527CiDF has been sold out at a lot of places but if you order one you might still be able to get it at the old price.

Mate the best thing to do would be go into a shop and have a play around with both the Lowrance and Humminbird and find the one that suits you best. I find the Humminbird to be a better quality product and has always worked better for me but that is just my personal opinion. I'm sure many people on this site would prefer the lowrance brand.

Bill

Hi.

If your looking on the bottom for fish. Look at the Furuno.. Only one with true Bottom lock.

You can pick Reefies and Flathead on them...

macka17

For value for money its very hard to go past the Furuno 620

Hiya Raiders, Geez you guys (and gals) have blood that's worth bottlin. Thanks for all the info and perseverence with this thread...

Thanks, Netic, Big Banana, Macka17, Quinnie480, Chocofallon, I hope I got everyone. I think its down to the Humminbird or the Furuno - but its on the backburner at the moment, because the liquid cash has dried up for the moment. I have a slight preference for the Humminbird, because its got many good raps and I know the upgrade will fit where the old one was.

Rgds

Dhutchy