Fishing The Same Spot

locodave

Got a question guys, I'm sure many of you have been in a situation before where you have been busted off or lost a nice big fish in a particular spot.

My question is, do you think if you fish that spot again, you might catch that one that got away?

there's a family off blue groper at the joey that i've been playing with for many years

never kept any and hooked heaps but only landed a hand full

what's funny is i met a raider at botany that fished the same spot and had just as much fun as me over many years,small world

i think blueys are pritty much perminant residents

cherrs gary

If there are fish there in the first place then obviously there is some kind of attraction at that particular location whether it be bait, reef, wreck etc... that will keep them coming back for more, thats why people fish at specific spots they usually know rather than in the middle of no where.

Still no gaurantee there'll consistently be fish there, all part of the game we all love.

Josh

Edited by Josh88

My question is, do you think if you fish that spot again, you might catch that one that got away?

Isn't that what we commonly call spot "X" :wacko:

I think it's called human nature!

You'll have the old fellow at the RSL playing the same pokey cause he nearly got a jackpot years ago;

Or the punter that keeps betting the same horse that has "just been beaten" its last few runs;

The prospector, etc, etc, etc......

Yes, I'm guilty, probably wasted days - not hours - fishing spot "X" or using lure "A" (The one that caught the monster years ago). Could have explored many more potential sites, but didn't, but always told the same story :wacko: of the one that got away years ago (days turn into weeks, then months, then years) - definately a lost cause - like the old fellow at the RSL!!!! - until he hooks that jackpot, or we land that fish.

We're a lost cause - what more can I say??? :tease:

Cheers

Mariner

I think it's called human nature!

You'll have the old fellow at the RSL playing the same pokey cause he nearly got a jackpot years ago;

Or the punter that keeps betting the same horse that has "just been beaten" its last few runs;

The prospector, etc, etc, etc......

Yes, I'm guilty, probably wasted days - not hours - fishing spot "X" or using lure "A" (The one that caught the monster years ago). Could have explored many more potential sites, but didn't, but always told the same story :wacko: of the one that got away years ago (days turn into weeks, then months, then years) - definately a lost cause - like the old fellow at the RSL!!!! - until he hooks that jackpot, or we land that fish.

We're a lost cause - what more can I say??? :tease:

Cheers

Mariner

Spot on!

I've been there myself and it has normally been a lost cause. The frustration and angst of a lost fish has taken me back to the same spot, normally thinking coulda, shoulda, woulda, etc. Sometimes it works the same when you have caught a good fish and you flog that bit of water for the next 6 trips thinking it will happen again, as easily as it did last time.

There are very few spots that will produce consistently enough to get a second chance at the one that got away the next time you go. It takes a lot of time on the water to find them and fish them often enough to know when they will fire.

It depends a bit on what it was that got away on you too. I fish for kings and jews and am only starting to put the pieces together. Kingies are more mobile and you seem to need to search more actively for them. Probably a bit less so for jews as I believe they are more habitual.

This year (when I get time) I intend to try to study the whole puzzle, using a good sounder and fish more spots than I have in the past two years. I have also been guilty far too often of sitting and waiting in hope, flogging a dead horse, only thinking with the back of my head. Using vague memories, flawed logic and a vague association between a spot and success (or near success).

Having said all that, try the same spot, same time next year. You might have discovered a seasonal pattern that influences the movements of a species. Keep the thinking cap on and get out when you can I suppose. It is also a numbers game as one good jewie fisherman I know has told me. That biggie will be back one day in one form or another.

Good luck

PS, the chance of catching the very same fish, mighty slim IMHO

Edited by humesy