Sydney Harbour Blackfish

taloyoak

These were take a couple of weeks ago, but I thought I had deleted them off my laptop. I have been fishing at Narrabeen Lake for Blackfish almost every other day since coming home to Sydney, and was really impressed one day when this 12 y.o kid ( Jackson) was catching a few Blackies. So anyway, I went against the traditional blackfisherman " rules" and showed him how to properly rig his line etc. Well that was a bad move, he caught twice as much as me!. His Pop taught him, and anyway I decided to give him my custom centerpin Blackfish reel, as he would probably make good use of it, and I own 3 reels anyway. I ended up taking him and his Pop down to the Harbour at Kirribilli, to where I fish a lot. Huge fish there, and actually, loads of Surgeons for that little extra excitement. But, the fish are pretty shy, and can be frustrating at times, compared to the ease of Narrabeen. Jackson caught his PB Blackfish there, and I caught a nice Surgeon on 6lb line- boy do they go hard!. It is great to see the young kids learning this craft!

post-8890-1225760995_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1225761015_thumb.jpg

post-8890-1225761037_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nanook

What a generous gesture, nanook - and then to be beaten at your own game! :1yikes: My brother Sails has been fishing with Jacson & his sister too & is also in awe of his fishing skills! :)

Terrific pics - 3 generations fishing together - how good is that???

That is a huge Surgeon Fish! How heavy was he??? Did you eat him?? Do they taste like Blackies?

Cheers

Roberta

sorry girls/guys,

didn't measure the Surgeon. I have caught a bunch there now, that was about the average size. Holy Mackerel do they fight. I was being busted off all the time, but let them run a bit ( hard because lots of seaweed and rocks to get busted on. ) But, they go like a tomahawk cruise missile on blackfish gear. It is hard to let them run too much especially on 6lb line, easy to bust off, and using the palming method of the blackfish real is another fun thing to do. Yeah they taste great!. wish I could just catch them instead of them blackfish, 10 times more fun!

hehehe Back in the 70s (and before I got into fishing again) I used to live in the first property next to Jeffrey St Wharf (now a luxurious block of flats ...... back then a dingy old mansion that had been divided up into flats .....) and I would watch all the old fellas fishing along the wall there beneath the bridge!

Not sure I would eat anything I caught there now, tho - is it safe to eat stuff from there??

Roberta

Not sure I would eat anything I caught there now, tho - is it safe to eat stuff from there??

Roberta

I don't think people have stopped eating fish from the harbour, Roberta ! A mate of mine does tell me that the bream caught from the waterways other than the harbour DO taste better .. lol .. who knows !

hehehe Back in the 70s (and before I got into fishing again) I used to live in the first property next to Jeffrey St Wharf (now a luxurious block of flats ...... back then a dingy old mansion that had been divided up into flats .....) and I would watch all the old fellas fishing along the wall there beneath the bridge!

Roberta

NO WORRIES ROBERTA,

The fish are ok. There was a pod of dolphins swimming up there under the bridge the other day. A good sign. The biggest danger is the boaties out on the water. They will kill you quicker than eating the beautiful fish in Sydney Harbour.

Enjoy,

Cheers BART

:1fishing1: