Etec's All Round

Central coast Mariner

Hi All,

Had to show off my new toy as well. and post some pics/

Decided not to go the optimax, and jumped on the 150 Etec train. Mainly due to servicing costs, trust in the dealer and the etec just looks great in white.

Big thanks to Huey for all the help, service, and answering many questions, which im still asking.

Took her out from Woy Woy on sunday and spent the day cruising and fishing broken bay/ pittwater and brisbane water. The thing is a beast, really happy with it. I dont have lots of figures to flash around, I will gather them as i go and pass on the info. But I can say that it so far it is everything I was told it would be. Really powerful, very fast, very very quiet... This is all compared to my old carbie 135 mariner.

When I get the gauges calibrated to the tank I can give some idea of fuel savings, but just on a quick comparison, I would have done at least 70 liters in my old engine on sunday.... I think i used around 40 liters with the etec. (just a guess)

The comparison to the ol 95 merc is crazy, I dont think my rig has ever gone so fast, so quickly.

Throws you back in the seat when you give it some, wether its at 2000 revs or 4000 revs.

Did some trolling, and it ticks along between 500 and 800 rpm nicely, will be great for trolling and downrigging..(when I get a downrigger)

Just have to get used to driving her again, as it is worlds away from the old one.

So im all ready for a great summer of chasing fish around broken bay and outside.

Im hoping to meet a few of you out there.

I should really name my boat now...Any ideas?

post-8429-1225767251_thumb.jpg

Couldnt figure out how to put all the pics into the one post...

post-8429-1225767369_thumb.jpg

more picspost-8429-1225767412_thumb.jpg

white is good...

post-8429-1225767460_thumb.jpg

One more...

post-8429-1225767502_thumb.jpg

Explain it this way : The new ETEC uses less fuel than the old motor, so , effectively , everytime you take her out , you are saving money !! You will soon have the cash for the extras !!!

Ross

Ross that must be the femine side in you comming out, simalar logic they use for shoes.

Great looking motor, i could imagine the 150 getting that going. Is the 150 a V4 or 6

Hi Jim, the 150HP is a V6, basically the same engine as the 200HP and in my opinion the class leader in the 150HP size.

I had a chance to run Daves boat and as I said to him and he discovered on Sunday it is a perfect combo. It did 50MPH plus, it cruised at 2900 RPM doing about 23 MPH and using only 12L/Hr (wind noise is all you hear) and at idle she runs on only 0.7L/Hr and as Dave said very very quietly. When Dave gets used to it the cool I-Command gauges give all this info and it is accurate because they "talk" to the EMM of the engine.

Best of luck with the name mate and with the better half, but yes I like Ross's logic too.

Enjoy it, it is a sweet combo.

Huey.

Yep its definitely done that, and some....

Just trying to figure out how to tell the wife :wife: I want a new Bimini and rocket launchers!

sms or email

by far the safest way

or can just tell the way its gona be,im getting it and thats it,ohhhh ive gota go shes coming ,coming sweetheart lol

cheers arman

:074:

I think if I do it right she probably wont really notice for a while....

Ross Ive allready used the whole less fuel thing as leverage to get the etec :biggrin2: , worked a treat too! but i think this one will stretch it.

Im really happy with the setup, Ive just got a few little additions to the boat to make and ill have it setup just the way I want it...(for now)

Stupid question but why are they so quiet compared to a 2 stroke?

Do they have more/better silencers?

Hi Bullfrog, not a stupid question, E-TEC are alot quieter than old carby designed 2-Stroke engines because of the design of the powerhead, the way the engine is made and alot of thought by the BRP R & D guys into harmonics. You really have to hear one to see how quiet they are, even on the flusher.

The noise you hear with an E-TEC, to me personally, make them sound tough and well made, bit like when you close the door on a well made car. Some other brands of both clean and dirty design I have driven do not sound as nice or as well put together.

Cheers,

Huey.

I glad Huey Explained that, cuz I couldnt answer it...all I know is it is very quiet.

Thanks for all the comments. There is a wealth of knowledge around this place, which is awesome considering it isnt always easy to get a hold of.

Just as a side note,,, the missus was actually really supportive throughout the drama of re-powering, but as we all know the minister for funding and spare time allocation can get a little edgey about our toys.

Now it can stop being all about the engine and boat, and go back to being all about the fish... :yahoo:

Would be great to follow one of you guys out to some reefs one day, Ive only really gone as far out as West reef, and am keen to explore further outside of broken bay, but would like to do it with another vessel the first few times...