Live Bait, Deadbait & Fillets On A Downrigger

ORES

Gday guys,

major stuff up this morning I was supose to go out at 2am for a fish seaaion solo and the f@#ken car wouldnt start :ranting2:

my real question is can you rig up dead bait to a downrigger such as squid and yackes? If so how would you stop them from spining?

I rigged a dead but fresh macaral one day by the nose and when I pulled the bait out of the water due to no bites its mouth was wide open like this :1yikes:

That cant be right..should I use a 2 hook set up or just one?( a towing hook and one on the rear of the top fin and on squit on the bottom of the tube)

Could anyone shed some light or whatwould be realy good some diagrams or photos?

I would appreciate it very much as I dont realy have a live tank so they tend to die on me, I need one though and looking into getting one made up.

Or some times I go for a baiting session and then the next morning go for a fish session as I may have a few hours only to spare.

Im aware that maybe this topic may have been covered but cant seem to find it.

Cheers :beersmile:

Ps.Rob if you read this Im spuin! dam car I just gave up. Looks like a good day mate for it in MH though good luck.

Till next time :beersmile:

Mate it can be done quite easily, i prefer to used strips instead of full squid when using deadbaits, this is how i do it and it works well for me.

THis is a video steve and i made a while back

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x310/ne...=Picture120.flv

hope that helps

Thanks netic, Ive seen your pick and video links, bloody unreall :thumbup: I used your sqid cut on a smaller scale on a 8-17lb sol rod and reel but on a single hook and caght a 55cm flathead on it.

But have you ever used a whole dead yakka or macaral on it? or would you fillet the fish and use the same rig on the fillet?

Cheers

Edited by STUCATZ

Thanks netic, Ive seen your pick and video links, bloody unreall :thumbup: I used your sqid cut on a smaller scale on a 8-17lb sol rod and reel but on a single hook and caght a 55cm flathead on it.

But have you ever used a whole dead yakka or macaral on it? or would you fillet the fish and use the same rig on the fillet?

Cheers

Mate to be honest i have ever used a dead Yakka/Mack......It would be hard....i probably would fillet it if i did and rig it the same way i rig the squid strip.....don't know how well it would work but all you could do is try.

Mate to be honest i have ever used a dead Yakka/Mack......It would be hard....i probably would fillet it if i did and rig it the same way i rig the squid strip.....don't know how well it would work but all you could do is try.

Cheers mate, have you any deicent spots for squid land based that you would like to share? You could PM me if you dont want to tell the whole world.

If no thanks anyway mate.

Cheers

Mate clifton gardens is an awesome spot land based. even when we have a boat we normally drop off a sqiddewr there to have a go. Lately i also heard watsons bay has a few squid around aswell as lady jane beach

for the dead yakkas and slimmys and garfish we use a squid jacket or squid tube over the baits head covering it to about half way down the fish i think it is a comman way to troll dead baits

i've used it on the down rigger but have had better results down rigging live slimmys rigged with a hook up through the bottom jaw and out the nose keeping there mouth closed it the tailor are around we add a trebble with a trace off 20lb wire and the trebble goes up the poo hole

if i had fresh sqidd i would use that first a livey would be a second option and dead bait would be the last option next to lures

cherrs gary

Gday guys,

my real question is can you rig up dead bait to a downrigger such as squid and yackes? If so how would you stop them from spining?

I rigged a dead but fresh macaral one day by the nose and when I pulled the bait out of the water due to no bites its mouth was wide open like this :1yikes:

Could anyone shed some light or whatwould be realy good some diagrams or photos?

Try this method. Tie the mouth with a bit of copper wire. You can also put a squid skirt over the head as well.

If the bait spins when trolled, usually a small knife slit made in the bait's belly just forward of the hook point will remove tension there, and will make the bait track straight without spinning.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Mariner

Edited by Mariner 31

Mate it can be done quite easily, i prefer to used strips instead of full squid when using deadbaits, this is how i do it and it works well for me.

THis is a video steve and i made a while back

http://s182.photobucket.com/albums/x310/ne...=Picture120.flv

hope that helps

Great videos Netic, heap of great fish on there as well.

You could put the hook through both top and bottom jaws to keep the mouth closed as brickman said but make sure that if you are using a frozen bait its completely thawed out and can move 'naturally' rather than spinning from being frozen in a bent position.

Otherwise maybe try a bridled type of rig through the eye, seems a bit excessive though for kingies.

Josh