Roseville Landbased

glennmreid

Met up with fellow raider Mike (browney1) today for a fish at our landbased spot. The weather was great, except for the strong winds. Not much happened in the first couple of hours, except for a few bites here and there.

Around the turn of the tide things changed. Mike's road bent right over, line peeling off his reel. Mike at the time was away from rod, and I wasn't paying too much attention myself. Then we noticed the rod in action, and Mike had a nice battle with the fish. After a good fight, Mike landed a large 36cm, 1.2 kg bream. This was one, big built bream.

post-3324-1226574290_thumb.jpg

In between waiting for bites, I was having fun catching some mullet on bread. I caught 2 good mullet, one I later used as live bait. I also caught a tailor, on bread! I also caught a yakka on bread. I replaced my live mullet with the yakka.

post-3324-1226574301_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226574308_thumb.jpg

Around 4.30pm, Mike head home. I decided to stay on for a few hours fish. Not long after, my rod started to go off. After a good fight, I landed this 1kg, 31cm fat bream.

post-3324-1226574317_thumb.jpg

After this, the bites we consistent, and a had a few fish grab the bait and run, just to drop it again.

Just as I was starting to pack my start, my rod bends over, the drag screaming. I was fighting a good fish, and had to adjust the drag on a few occasions. After a good battle, I landed this 1.3kg, 58cm flathead.

post-3324-1226574326_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226574332_thumb.jpg

post-3324-1226574338_thumb.jpg

He was one, fat flattie. This was a great finish to a very enjoyable days fishing with great company.

check out the last photo:

is that a fat flattie in your pants or are you just happy to see us?

i love fishing but you must REAALLLY LOVE fishing!

top catch btw

Could be a bit of both. A flat flattie in the pants. The :wife: wishes, and extremely happy :074: I wish I could tell the :wife: that I had a 58cm lizard in the pants, but then she would know I was only talking about a fish :074:

Nice work Glenn and Mike.

Decent bream there and a nice flattie-all you need now is a jewie to top it off :1prop:

Cheers

Josh

Would nice great to get a jewie. They do hang around there. Have been busted off a few times. I tried with live mullet and yakka, without success today. There is always next time.

Good report Glenn,

Im so annoyed i didnt stay on! grrrr :1badmood:

Still a great day out though! Thanks for the good company and lets hope we are out there again with the big rods screaming!

Mike

Shame you didn't stay a bit longer. The bite came back again, and this time the bigger fish were appearing. I stayed until 7.30pm. Only left because of the gates shutting at 8.

Hi Glenn,

that sounded like a really enjoyable session, especially with the productive bread bait session to while away the time betwen runs. I often have lunch down at the river, in the first car park after going under the Roseville bridge. The river always looks for fish.

well done.

Sails

Well done Glenn, excellent mixed bag. :thumbup:

I think that is possibly a boomerang flathead. :tease:

Cheers

Mariner

New type of flathead, founded by me. Might just have to name this species the chopper boomerang flathead. :074: New type of flathead that can be used as a weapon for hunting.

Well done mate!

I remember catching my very first leatherjacket down there at Roseville when i was 8 yo.

Ha Ha i actually thought i had caught a plastic bag when i was bringing him in to shore.

In all the years i have fished Sydney i had thought Roseville was a dud area until reading your post.

Hope the Low pressure system eases up this weekend so i can try and land a lizard like yours.

Dougs77

Well done mate!

I remember catching my very first leatherjacket down there at Roseville when i was 8 yo.

Ha Ha i actually thought i had caught a plastic bag when i was bringing him in to shore.

In all the years i have fished Sydney i had thought Roseville was a dud area until reading your post.

Hope the Low pressure system eases up this weekend so i can try and land a lizard like yours.

Dougs77

Roseville is really under rated. The fish I catch there, most of the time are above average weight. YOu can see for yourself what kind of bream and flathead are there. A few months ago, I caught a 3kg Australian Salmon there. Couldn't beleive it. My wife has also caught a good flounder there as well.

Roseville is really under rated. The fish I catch there, most of the time are above average weight. YOu can see for yourself what kind of bream and flathead are there. A few months ago, I caught a 3kg Australian Salmon there. Couldn't beleive it. My wife has also caught a good flounder there as well.

hey glenn have you ever fish from a boat there or know anyone else who has? you would think that it would have to be slightly better wouldnt it?

hey glenn have you ever fish from a boat there or know anyone else who has? you would think that it would have to be slightly better wouldnt it?

I've only been up there once in a boat, just to check out the depth of the water. Basically where I fish, there is a drop off which runs for about 100m. The water drops from 12 ft to about 22ft. I guess that is why this place holds good fish. Plenty of mullet and small bait fish up there. So plenty of food for the predators. There are also a few holes further upstream, which I think would be a good chance for a jew or something large.

I've only been up there once in a boat, just to check out the depth of the water. Basically where I fish, there is a drop off which runs for about 100m. The water drops from 12 ft to about 22ft. I guess that is why this place holds good fish. Plenty of mullet and small bait fish up there. So plenty of food for the predators. There are also a few holes further upstream, which I think would be a good chance for a jew or something large.

Nice bag of fish there Chopper, Have you ever tried flicking big plastics around the drop off? I would imagine the flatties at least would be on the cards, possibly that jew you've been waiting for!?

Dave

Nice bag of fish there Chopper, Have you ever tried flicking big plastics around the drop off? I would imagine the flatties at least would be on the cards, possibly that jew you've been waiting for!?

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have considered plastics. I should do that next time. Throw out a bait with one rod, and flick some plastics around. Probably a good chance of a jew with a 5 or 7 inch shad. Even if no jew, I reckon a good flattie.