Drifting For Flathead

love2fish

I mostly just put an sp bouncing on the bottom .with flathead [ im sure you know ] its important to keep you sp or bait on or close to the bottom.

yakfisher --- i use that rig in narrabeen lake as a 2 way bet on flathead or bream and its funny how may flathead i pick up on the top hook ...

cheers

craig

I mostly just put an sp bouncing on the bottom .with flathead [ im sure you know ] its important to keep you sp or bait on or close to the bottom.

yakfisher --- i use that rig in narrabeen lake as a 2 way bet on flathead or bream and its funny how may flathead i pick up on the top hook ...

cheers

craig

Gday Craig, yeah Ive been wanting to try it out in Narra. I was thinking about having a heavier leader to form the loop and then down to the plastic (as extra insurance for flattys) then a lighter leader off the loop knot to tempt the bream. Im just trying to work out what lengths to use. What I was thinking was to have about 50cm from the loopknot to the plastic and then maybe 1.5m of lighter line off the loop to the bait. But then I got thinking if you had a hard fight going from the bait and the fish is going under the boat and everywhere, is there any chance that the plastcs jighead could nick the line and possibly loose you the fish? How do you do it anyway, if you dont mind my asking.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

When fishing for Flathead, I generally use a double hook Patanoster Rig.

On the bottom bait I have a pillie head, tail or whole body. And on the top hook I have a teaser Lure just to

get them interested. I was surprised to see that 1 out of 4 flatties took the teaser.

Hope this helps you?

Hello,

Like Linton i also use the double paternoster rig. The only variation they i use apart from what has already been mentioned is - On one of the top hooks thread on a plastic (no jig head just a hook). I think they call this drop shotting but it is effective particually with 2 - 3 inch grub type platics.

I also find that you want a slow drift. If you are moving too fast you will get far less hookups.

Hope this helps.