Fresh Bait Help Needed

kb2007

hi all

Can someone please tell me where i can buy fresh bait from on sunday morning, i am towing the boat up to the hawkesbury from smithfield heading up pennant hills rd around 5am.

thanks karl

there is a little shop right next door to the pub at brooklyn and they open fairly early 5.30 - 6.00 and they have good quality frozen bait, as for fresh not frozen???? sorry cant help you unless you want to catch your own.

yer the antique shop

....if they arnt open theres a number on the wall you can call and they come up and organise the bait for you......there is another place that gets there bait straight off the trawler and ill pm you the details later/....

cheers shaun.

go to the fishing shop at thompsons corner you will pass it on the way to the hawkesburry

its at the intersection of pennant hills road and castle hill road

he allways has fresh hawkesburry prawns and squid and frozen fresh stuff as well

Guest Aussie007

i seen a known shop pour a bucket of fresh prawns into there tray behind the glass than put a frozen pack of prawns into the same bucket and defrost them :( so i doubt there all fresh pawns we are buying even if they are frozen on the boat there still frozen!?!?

i seen a known shop pour a bucket of fresh prawns into there tray behind the glass than put a frozen pack of prawns into the same bucket and defrost them :( so i doubt there all fresh pawns we are buying even if they are frozen on the boat there still frozen!?!?

i really get annoyed when they do stuff like that................. :ranting2:

i really get annoyed when they do stuff like that................. :ranting2:

A bit off topic but i saw them doing it with frozen king prawns behind the scenes at the sydney fish markets last christmas, possibly normal practice [wouldn't know] though i'm sure most of the people who took the time & trouble to get them thought they were buying fresh.

Hooked for life is right about the sydney fish markets,

I have wittnessed it myself where by the staff go to a refrigerated container behind the store and open up a box of frozen product only to throw water on them to defrost them.

Do not kid yourselves...... all the stuff is frozen and not fresh.

I often wonder how there are prawns left in the ocean when Coles and Woolworths and the markets store pallet loads of prawns and the like in there warehouses for years on end and then have the hide to sell them as fresh.

Some seafood companies do snap freeze whilst catching out at sea but the above practice is beyond the joke.

Twin 1

Hi kb2007

If you fish the Hawkesbury and want to give yourself the best chance of doing well on the jewfish, it's a fact of life that you have to have fresh arrow squid in your bait supply....... If I can't buy arrows myself, I don't feel right even though I've caught green eye on the day and have a good supply of fish baits including a mixed back up suppy of baitfish which I generally always have in the freezer...... I always let my friends take home more fish than myself so that I get to take home the left over bait fish.... Any arrow squid that I have left over I only use in the borttom burley mix, as it's not worth using if you freeze it and thaw it out again.... It's a shame you have to pay an arm and a leg for arrow squid, but the bait shops who do get it in pay thru the nose for it themselves, not only selling it to jew fishermen but to wisened up bottom bashers wanting to use solid baits that perform reliably and wont be pulled apart by peckers easily........ The bait shops only buy fresh stock of arrows for the weekend and sell out quickly, and a lot of them keep some for themselves to use ........ As to the price arrows are near enough to thirty dollars a kilo everywhere take it or leave it..... My friends and I have to lay out ninety bucks for three kilos if we're fishing from a Saturday early am start into late Sunday afternoon which we often do out of the love of jewfishing and having travelled so far...... I have tried to beat the system a couple of times by having someone check out the markets only to find as Twin1 says that the Hawkesbury squid suppliers have very small thawed out pink coloured squid sitting like dregs in a drum of fresh water which they top up with frozen squid occasionally.... Sure it's still edible but there is nothing that makes you more confident than having honey coloured arrow squid with ink running out of it and using a solid fresh bait which is also a great out of area bait.

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hi kb,

that fishing shop at thompsons corner opens at 4am every weekend and 6am on weekdays to catch the early morning fisho. They also sell live tube worms from october till about april. Their hawkesbury river squid that they have is delivered from the trawlers usually on friday morning. Hope it helps mate.

Cheers Tim

hi kb,

that fishing shop at thompsons corner opens at 4am every weekend and 6am on weekdays to catch the early morning fisho. They also sell live tube worms from october till about april. Their hawkesbury river squid that they have is delivered from the trawlers usually on friday morning. Hope it helps mate.

Cheers Tim

thanks very much buddy

karl