Sp Flicking Around Neutral Bay

small fry

hi all,

after picking up some tips at the sp workshop, i was keen on putting them into practice. So after picking up a few extra jigheads, sp's and flurocarbon yesterday, today was the day to try and put it all together. After hearing from one of my brothers' workmates that there are heaps of flatties and bream around neutral bay, thought i'd give it a shot. After two hours of constant flicking, this is what i picked up.

post-7821-1228817104_thumb.jpg

It looks like a whiting, but its got some really nasty teeth. does that means its a pike? didnt really care what it was, just glad i caught something.

Just wanting to say thanks again, to all that put the sp workshop together. Reading about it is one thing, having someone take the time to show you is another. I'd probably be making the same mistakes (20lb leader) if i wasnt shown the error of my ways.

:thumbup: Dice

hi all,

after picking up some tips at the sp workshop, i was keen on putting them into practice. So after picking up a few extra jigheads, sp's and flurocarbon yesterday, today was the day to try and put it all together. After hearing from one of my brothers' workmates that there are heaps of flatties and bream around neutral bay, thought i'd give it a shot. After two hours of constant flicking, this is what i picked up.

post-7821-1228817104_thumb.jpg

It looks like a whiting, but its got some really nasty teeth. does that means its a pike? didnt really care what it was, just glad i caught something.

Just wanting to say thanks again, to all that put the sp workshop together. Reading about it is one thing, having someone take the time to show you is another. I'd probably be making the same mistakes (20lb leader) if i wasnt shown the error of my ways.

:thumbup: Dice

Its a pike, kinda disappointing when you land it ay haha.

It isn't a Pike, as far as I know. I have caught hundreds of them in Canada, in fact more than probably any other fish. Would be good to find out what it is really, unless there is an Australian Pike. This is a pike ( in picture- and no it isn't mine, but I think it is the largest caught!)

post-8890-1228819527_thumb.jpg

I'm still fairly new to fishing and some clarification of the rules regarding what fish are legal for bait use would be good. What species can be used for bait that are _not_ listed in the 'Saltwater Recreational Fishing in NSW - Rules and Regulations Summary' booklet? I always assumed, if it's not listed, it's not allowed. Pike isn't on the list. Maybe it's OK in other states....

I've only been fishing regularly for a matter of months, so I need the possibly obvious spelled out to me :)

Whys pike bAd??? they make the best bait in the world!!! best is squid then i'd say pike bream flathead and jewwies love em

Cheers A.dawg~~~

Yes it is a pike... The one in Nannoks pic is a different species that we dont get here. They make really good live bait for jews and kings and sharks and good strip baits for bream and flatties and snapper. Keep up the good work with the placcies, wont be long til you get a flattie or something!!

I'm still fairly new to fishing and some clarification of the rules regarding what fish are legal for bait use would be good.

It's nice and easy James - if the fish you have captured is a legal fish under the fisheries rules then you can do whatever you want with it (including using it for bait). Some fish, such as pike, mullet and squid, have no minimum size limit but they do have a maximum bag limit - which means that you can only catch up to your bag limit for bait purposes.

If you wanted to drag a black marlin around as a live bait for Kraken Squid then that would be fine as long as the marlin was legal size.

That makes sense. Maybe I have a 'short' version of the booklet that lists the bag limits etc, because I can't find pike mentioned at all (bait or otherwise)!

Thanks for your help :)

It's nice and easy James - if the fish you have captured is a legal fish under the fisheries rules then you can do whatever you want with it (including using it for bait). Some fish, such as pike, mullet and squid, have no minimum size limit but they do have a maximum bag limit - which means that you can only catch up to your bag limit for bait purposes.

If you wanted to drag a black marlin around as a live bait for Kraken Squid then that would be fine as long as the marlin was legal size.

That makes sense. Maybe I have a 'short' version of the booklet that lists the bag limits etc, because I can't find pike mentioned at all (bait or otherwise)!

Thanks for your help :)

Just found the critical piece of info on the Bag and Size Limits leaflet:

"A maximum daily bag limit of 20 applies to any fish or invertebrates not listed".

I guess that means that there is no minimum length to non-listed species either?

There is a legal length for some species of mullet, see the fisheries info on their website, keeping some poddies alive for bait is permitted. Dont keep undersized ones as it could cost you dearly.

I have also found pike to be excellent bait, especially if you catch one while fishing for snapper or flathead. If you get a large one and keep it on ice they are good eating despite what some may say.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/recrea...sw-bag-and-size

I looked up the fisheries site to verify my reply, and bully mullet must 30 cm, as usual fishos must be pretty well up on fish species to be able to identify the different species of flathead , mullet, whiting, and other species which have different legal lengths.

Hope this helps some.