Big Bass

Bream Mad

Hi Raiders,

Hit a new ‘secret’ spot on Sunday keen to battle with some big natives.

Water again was slightly discoloured after the rain, but not overly high. Weather was awesome!!

Started at the bridge and made our way downstream.

A couple of missed hits and boils at the first pool but no fish as yet.

Then lee hooks to a nice 30cm starter. :biggrin2:

post-2475-1229335822_thumb.jpg

Afterward I turn to see a BIG bass take something off the top (maybe a small bird :074: ) in a shower of spray (I got wet 3m away) Repeated casts fail to draw any response from the beast.

Further down Lee hooks up again on jacks hopper to a nice Bass which fights hard.

post-2475-1229335844_thumb.jpg

I still don’t have a fish and confidence starts to wander, but I keep saying to myself just ‘one good cast away’. On goes a battered SX40 and I start prospecting the ledge at the tail of a narrow pool. After four casts with no response I draw the lure over the ledge and ‘THUMP’ I am on to a horse! Rod buckles over and drag screams as she makes for the ledge. After a violent fight I cradle this wild gem at 42cm, an awesome fish from this small water :thumbup:

post-2475-1229335581_thumb.jpg

As cloud rolls over the bass then get on the chew and we score 5 fish in almost as many casts from the next pool and a hidden underwater snag.

Now we reach a very nice looking pool and I tie on a new baby vib 43 and cast to the head, first twich and it is hammered by another wild beast that takes off upstream on a searing run. As I regain line she dives under the ledge I am standing on, but eventually she tires and I hold another beauty aloft, slightly bigger and fatter at 43cm :yahoo:

post-2475-1229335783_thumb.jpg

post-2475-1229335798_thumb.jpg

Now it’s time to head back and we make our way upstream each scoring the odd smaller specimen until we reach the first pool, in which lurks the beast. I fire my baby vib under a tree into a back eddy and no time for a twitch as the rod is almost ripped out of my hand by this angry fellow. :1yikes: Not the beast this time but still respectable at 35cm and fought like hell!!

post-2475-1229335861_thumb.jpg

On the steep (and long) walk out we meet this cute little fellow and cold beer at the end caps off a great day.

post-2475-1229335961_thumb.jpg

Cheers

kael

What a brilliant report and photos, thanks for sharing with us.

Nothing tops get amongst our bush, waterways and connecting with our unique wildlife.

I wonder how a decent sized bull grey kangeroo would go on 8lb? I reckon some white bread and a quick strike through the upper lip would do the trick. Would need a long handled gaff / donker.

:1prop:

Spanker