Longy Shark

southerly

Check out the channel 7 news apparently some yaks and tinnies were harrassed by a big GWS this morning in the fog off longy.

David

crazy that was a big 1

fearless animals just circled them

i am booked in for a dive at long reef in 2 weeks might rethink location

does anyone have a link for the news report or better still the video??

I'm very fascinated by these massive carnivores

I expect it will go up on U-tube, the yak community has been going nuts, I was out there yesterday in the yak and bled a few kings over the side but had a body surf instead this morning. The yakkers were suitiably freaked out as it chased 2 down who started to head in after it dissappeared for a short while (this happened after the TV footage shown).

It also rubbed a few tinnies.

David

I live in Collaroy and was considering buying a Kayak to cruise Long Reef. Not anymore!!!

Normally you would feel safe in a watercraft. I understand why surfers are attached, having neutral buoyancy and sitting 10-30cm under the water surface with legs hanging off each side dressed in a black wetsuit that looks like a seal. But in a yak you’re on top of the water in a brightly coloured lifejacket.

Perhaps I'm not crazy and this is not a conspiracy theory, but when cage divers burly up to attract Great White Sharks to the cage they (the GWS) are being taught to associate humans with food.

These tourism businesses operate in South Africa and the Caribbean. However when you consider that a GWS can swim from the east coast of SA to the West coast of Australia and back in a year. Its not too far fetched to imagine GWS in Australian waters being attracted to humans as food.

Your thoughts…

PS Did these guys try to catch the Shark? :1prop: lol

Leatherjacket

there are some hair raising reports on the main kayak fishing site under ther trip report forem.

1 guy got knocked in and another 2 were chased down when they were heading back to shore.

one of the tinnes was rubbed and it was breeching [ is that what its called ]to have a good look inside the boat .

oh they also kept a nice kingie a good snapper and a good travelly :1prop:

apparently kingfish are every were [ hence the shark ]boxing day at one stage the were 15hook ups at the one time :thumbup:

cheers

craig

there are some hair raising reports on the main kayak fishing site under ther trip report forem.

1 guy got knocked in and another 2 were chased down when they were heading back to shore.

one of the tinnes was rubbed and it was breeching [ is that what its called ]to have a good look inside the boat .

oh they also kept a nice kingie a good snapper and a good travelly :1prop:

apparently kingfish are every were [ hence the shark ]boxing day at one stage the were 15hook ups at the one time :thumbup:

cheers

craig

I am sure karnage will post a report here soon - I imagine he is a little busy atm :)

mrsswordfisherman