Mullet With Wings

brickman

hit the harbour early at 4.00am to beat the crowd headed to the little bay near the wave rider bouy at q point

fished till sun up for 4 treves to 380mm and 1 sambo about 500mm kept 3 trevs and the sambo for cat food

headed to longreef wide at 6.30am and had to laugh there were already 15 boats stacked around the wave rider bouy at q piont

all the harbour to fish and these people make a boat car park,half way to longy we sound a big school off kings out goes a heap off berly and soon the kings are all around the boat we played sight fishing with ppp on 6 lb fire wire and i had a go with 4lb mono 2 from 10 hookups kings win

the biggest went 500mm we boated about 10 till 2 boats ran within 20 feet off us and the school was spooked and went deep and that was it for rat fest

with all the water why come so close to a drifting boat you stupid fools

headed to the wall only to find 15 boats already there so we went to the wreaks and berlyed hard

boated a rat and the usual crap and 1 hour after high tide we got our first legal pinky and then the s b showed up bugger they look red on the way up

but the highlight off the day was a mutant mullet with wings :074: bright blue and with wings i've never seen one before and to get one on 4 lb mono was blast for me

headed home at 1.00pm to beat the rush at the ramp

did'nt take any pics off the fish except for the mutant mullet :biggrin2:

cherrs gary

sorry i forgot the pics

Edited by brickman

I've often seen flying fish around headlands both trolling and when drifting around bottom bashing.

They look sensational as they get out of the water and fly along...

However, this is the first I've ever seen captured and have always wondered what the look like up close - really cool!

Hi Brickman, good to see the ppp did the trick for you, and them

flying fish are wierd, never seen one up that close.

We have seen them while outside the heads on a few trips, and

even had a couple fly into the side of my Quiny while drifting just

of Botany heads a couple of years back.

penguin

DUDE that is very beautiful Photo i heard nothing cant beat flying fish trolled with a marlin skirt for catching big yellowfins and black marlin

People going out trolling sometimes get them jumping or "flying into the boat and when they do and are used your 100% chance on hooking a marlin :thumbup: THats what they say anyways LOL

Again nice pics

A.dawg~~~

hey raiders i was blown away when we boated this bright blue flying fish having never seen one in the flesh

the colour along it's back was the brightest blue i have ever seen and the wings were like plastic cling wrap

penguin thanks to your post about fishing with your son i picked up 6kg fresh hawks prawns on sunday

that should do for the fussy kings in the harbour for the next few months

sight fishing for rats with ppp on 6lb what a rush the little saros reels were screeming[love that sound]

iwannajewy i have no idea what they are called or what family off fish they belong to but with out the wings they look like mullet and have large scales like a mullet

katsuo it never seases to amaze me how you know so much about fish for the table who would think off deep frying the frames but it sounds yumo are you a chef or just a tooth man like me

cherrs gary

Nice capture on the flying fish - great to see one up close! We covered the Northen Beaches yesterday fishing 21 degree water right in on the rocks. Does this sound right or is my sensor playing up?? - I got 24 degree water in near Cottage Point on the way back in??

Saw a large shark lazing in the sun just out the back of the breakers at Palm Beach in 10m of water. Would have been about 6 or 7 foot - we drifted right up next to him but then he was gone with a swish of his tail. I think probably a bull or whaler but not sure. Also saw 20 or 30 of these flying fish scooting all over the place - unbelievable how far they can fly and they poise themselves like a bird when flying between the waves.

Quiet day on the fish front though although a little surprised to see guys picking up rat kings at the bait reef at west head - and not putting them back in the water?!

I seen 2 of these fish just out the heads from Jibbon Beach. I noticed that they were airborn and jumping from wave to wave. I never knew such a fish existed. I thought it was just the imagination running wild as it had been a bumpy Friday morning of fishing.

I had to tell myself that they were some sort of silver sooty turn diving for baitfish.

Thanks for the clarification, that im not going bonkers :1prop:

Great Photo!!