Eggs Of Some Sort ?

copafisher

Question

Anyone recognise what these are ? And no they are not "frogs eggs" lol

post-3151-1230985637_thumb.jpg

Brought them in while fishing in about 15' of water in the Haven at Terrigal. Appeared to be a cluster of some sort of eggs, I presume got hooked by my plastic from a weed bed. Each one is about the size of a baked bean.

Cheers

8 answers to this question

Nah ya frog just saw a big snapper and dropped his hemoroids. Please don't be cruel and go buy him a donut cushion.

No idea but a great photo and should go in fish of the month!!! - well amphibian of the month

Edited by pelican

The eggy thing I think you might find thats a Swimming Sea Anemone.

Never knew they could swim fast enough for a SP though. :biggrin2:

Not that uncommon underwater ............ very unusual on the end of a line though.

Edited by Blackfish

The frog is a soft plastic and i think its a type of seaweed not eggs, what sort of texture did they have?

Josh - They were a soft squishy but were tightly held around the centre, no apparent wriggly things inside, extracting the 3/0 took a bit of effort and broke a couple open but just a red/black content. Appeared to be a cluster of eggs, not seaweed.

Blackfish - Dont think it was any type of anemone, had no sign of tentacles etc. I hooked it from a weedbed, when released it sank back down.

I actually thought I had hooked some taxi drivers beaded seat cover when i first saw it ! Will have to send photo to museum/marine expert to identify ?

I love the amusing replies, cheers

The eggy thing I think you might find thats a Swimming Sea Anemone.

Never knew they could swim fast enough for a SP though. :biggrin2:

Not that uncommon underwater ............ very unusual on the end of a line though.

Blackfish has correctly identified the strange beast. Thanks Gordon.

"Your critter is called a Swimming Sea Anemone 'Phlyctenactis tuberculosa'

http://www.woodbridge.tased.edu.au/MDC/Spe...emone.htm"

Largest anemone seen in southern Australian waters. Moves rapidly either by crawling or drifting with the current. During the day it looks like a bag of baked beans but at night moves onto plant fronds to catch drifting food.

Though mine looked more like the one in this photo at the time http://www.acfonline.org.au/articles/news....=942&c=5504

They appear to be fairly common and come in a wide range of different colours if you look up images on google.

I might put it in for COTM, its certainly better than the few yakkas I caught that day :mad3: and was fairly caught :1fishing1: with a frog & 3/0 combination :1prop: .

Cheers