Surface Sesh With Deno

Hodgey

G'Day

Our individual families have gone home, and today was our first session together in a couple of weeks. Surface lures were the order of the day, although we threw plastics for a spell too.

Found some nice country to play in (which will be familiar to Rod L)

post-3198-1231211452_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1231211476_thumb.jpg

It was slightly overcast this morning, with a very light breeze. Ideal surface lure conditions, but the cloud burnt off very early and the wind disappeared :mad3: The favourable conditions lasted long enough for Dene to nail this very nice 40cm model ... a crackin' effort considering the terrain :yahoo:

post-3198-1231211621_thumb.jpg

Five minutes later, and my popper is engulfed in a huge splash of water, and I'm into another great fish ... briefly :1badmood: This fish managed to snag me, and as Dene and I motored across to try to disentangle it ... click ... and we watched as the bream (and popper) swam away. :thumbdown: A short while later, and Dene coaxed a nice flattie to the surface, but try though he may, he couldn't get it to commit to the popper. :(

The wind had gone, the sun came out and the water glassed over. Time for plastics/flathead. On the way to our next spot, we saw bream/mullet/etc finning on top of an oyster lease. Filed the popper away and tossed an NW Pencil on my new Bream Finesse rod. Second cast, and this welcome stranger made an appearance

post-3198-1231212428_thumb.jpg

Off we go looking for flathead. 1/8oz jigheads and 5" Shads in either Satay Chicken or Camo color produced 7 flatties, although they were only between 40 - 50cm. All went back in the drink, as did all the bream and EP. We had seen quite a bit of surface action over the sand so decided to chase some whiting.

We had a top little session, nailing 7 whiting between 35 - 38cm. This bloke was the best at 38

post-3198-1231212692_thumb.jpg

post-3198-1231212729_thumb.jpg

Watching whiting trying to shoulder each other out of the way to get to your popper is a real buzz, and anyone who has caught them on popper will tell you ... they go bloody hard :biggrin2: Kept three of the smaller ones for a meal for Dene's Granddaughters and released the rest. Final tally for the morning; 6 bream, 7 flatties, 1 EP and 7 whiting. An entertaining morning on the water!

Cheers

Hodgey

As usual Ian, your plan always comes to fruition. :thumbup:

Very healthy looking whiting there and a damned stomper bream. :1yikes:

Great effort and a Happy New Year to you and Melissa, Bryce, Christie, Taneka and Robbie

Cheers

Carl

Thanks for the PM

Great result there, Ian & good to see Deno out again! :) Terrific looking fish! Shame about the one that skunked you! :(

I am amazed at how often the fish actually miss the lures (poppers & pencils) & come back for it 3, 4 & 5 times before either nailing it or giving up! Brilliant to watch! I've been watching for swirls on the water & then casting to it - often get an immediate take.

I'll head out in the yak tomorrow, bright & early, to miss the tourists!! Just have to get out of bed when the alarm goes off at 5am! :1yikes:

Cheerio

Roberta

Nice work fellas. Wish I was still up there with you :1crybaby:

Hodgy,

I notice you keep the rear treble feathers on the popper. Did the whiting hit those more than poppers without the feathers or was there no difference?

Nice work fellas. Wish I was still up there with you :1crybaby:

Hodgy,

I notice you keep the rear treble feathers on the popper. Did the whiting hit those more than poppers without the feathers or was there no difference?

G'Day mate

We had grand plans for getting together for a beer and BBQ while you were here, but the dreaded 'flu' hit our place and we didn't want to pass it on to your littlies. Next time, mate :beersmile:

Deno was using the Bubble Pop with the feather and I was using the 'old faithfuls'. There was no noticeable difference in the performance of the two, on either the bream or the whiting.

Skip

Well done mate,

Back to the old familar culprits bream on surface lures!!

nice EP too, I have never caught them this time of year

ps' check out the lucky craft keroll jrn, fished like a popper has accounted for lots of bream in it's first couple of swims

cheers

kael

Well done mate,

Back to the old familar culprits bream on surface lures!!

nice EP too, I have never caught them this time of year

ps' check out the lucky craft keroll jrn, fished like a popper has accounted for lots of bream in it's first couple of swims

cheers

kael

Thanks very much for the suggestion mate. :thumbup: I will visit my tackle store again and grab a couple! :biggrin2:

Cheers

Picked up another good bag of whiting on popper this morning, with three of them measuring 39cm :biggrin2:

Ian