Catching Mullet From Shore

wonniefisho

Rather than posting in the 'Bag Of Mullet An How To Brine Them For F/h Bait' thread started by someone else, I was wondering how I go about catching mullet from shore. When I use dead bait, mullet strips/squares are my bait of choice, but now my local fish shop is selling it for $18kg, which is ridiculous for mullet, I thought why not catch some.

The wonnie is full of mullet jumping but I've never caught any, even by chance for some reason (maybe mullet don't bite on mullet!!), but the impression I get is to use unweighted bread under a float - the problem with that is fishing from shore, theres no way I can cast unweighted bread far enough, so whats the alternative? Obviously I can't use a small sinker under a float can I?

G'day wonnie

Scrubworm and I used to fish for these as kids after school in the Nepean years ago, I also remember him bringing a telescopic rod to a school camp at Yarramundi one year :074: . The method we used then was the same as I used upriver the other day, which still works by the way. We used to use a quill float or a small blackfish float with a stopper on the mainline to give a bait depth of between 1 and 3 metres and 3 to 4 split shot sinkers below the float. Use a number 6 hook and a small piece of bread kneaded onto the hook. Berley up with dried bread broken into small pieces and just thrown into the water to get them firing and you will be onto them before you know it. If they are there you will start to see surface action after a short time.

I agree it is very difficult to use no weight, no float or anything as scrubworm described but he was fishing out of a yak.

You don't need to cast 50 metres either, just watch where the surface action is, which will be where the bread thown into the water is and that is where the fish are.

let me know how you go.

Peter

post-7217-1232355710_thumb.jpg

A bloke at south west rocks showed me. He used a fairly large float on the bottom of the rig with a normal bait jig cut down to 3 hooks above it tied to a swivel then the main line. Hooks were baited with bread. Worked very well.

A bloke at south west rocks showed me. He used a fairly large float on the bottom of the rig with a normal bait jig cut down to 3 hooks above it tied to a swivel then the main line. Hooks were baited with bread. Worked very well.

Brett, did the chap have a heavyweight float floating on it's side with the bread on the paternostas floating on the surface with the float following along with the burley?

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

• 3 months later...

Tie an elastic band to the end of your line.

Use a full slice of bread wrapped in the rubber band (picture it floating on the surface) Off the rubber band run several short pieces of line with small hooks hanging off them. Bait these hooks with bits of bread or even bits of white cotton. You will clean up this way as the schooling Mullet will compete with each other for the bait making them more aggressive with their feeding habits. Other benefit is it is very visual when there is several large Mullet smashing the surface lol..

Regards John!

Edited by watta_reel_drag

the way I fish for mullet is.. I have 3 size 12 hooks spaced about 20 cm apart on a single line of mono. This is then tied uni-uni knot to the leader. Attach a bubble float to it, WHITE is the best colour to attract em!

Now on the hooks attach some small pieces of bread, you can add some butter or oil to keep it together, then just roll it into a small ball the size of the barb. The smaller the better...

Basically, burley the area up, you will see them boil up on the surface. Best if the bread floats on the surface.

When you see them feeding, just cast out to them and reel in very fast, just like using a metal lure, then as soon as you have reeled the float passed the school, slow down and slowly reel. Stop if they are circling your float and baits.

Then you just gotta hope it hooks.....

Another important tip, mullet don't feed at night. So don't bother. Jumping mullets dont take your bait, so ignore them....

Bring em in with burley, if they're on the surface then you're good to go.

i use a bait trap with bread in it and get poddy mullet they are easy to catch this way and great little live bait. maybe something to consider?

I believe he is after those much bigger sized mullets, the ones you see jumping.