My Shoulders Are Killing Me!

GregL

"I'd be happy to get just one" was said at Sydney airport as we waited for our plane to Gladstone.

Rich and I had just finish fishing the harbour for a few days over the Australian open but really couldn't get into the breaming.... Day 2 we even took the Contender out to chase salmon and kings instead of bream. Thoughts of metre barra wouldn't leave our minds, bream just weren't "doing it for me".....

On arrival, Pat, Rich and I were told the fishing had been very slow over the last 6 or so weeks :wacko: Not really what you want to hear from the guide but hey that's fishing!

Our host wanted to hit the water straight away so we could fit another session into the trip and would be the first time for me barra fishing in the dark! So down with a great home cooked meal at our comfy accoms we slipped the Skeeter into the darkness.

Did it work? You bet!

Rich with the first of the trip

post-3563-1232414220_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1232414242_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1232414269_thumb.jpg

post-3563-1232414299_thumb.jpg

Not long after I scored my first night time Barra in the mid 90's and was the last for the session

post-3563-1232414355_thumb.jpg

Next day with weather into the 40's it was going to be a stinker! Out on Awoonga it was hot but the welcoming breeze kept it bearable. Again Rich was first to score with a nice little tacker off a weedy bank.

post-3563-1232414589_thumb.jpg

Things slowed down as the temps increased and we went threw the motions of cast and retrieve over and over. Every few hours someone would get hit but we just couldn't keep the hooks in them.... Just after lunch after a short break under a tree and a red bull I get hit by a nice weed dweller. Performed well before sliding into the net.

post-3563-1232414833_thumb.jpg

Rich and I with 2 fish each Patty on a donut, even the guide started up on him! :074:

It wasn't till session 4 that he scored and he scored in fine fashion with the only metre fish of the trip!

Not bad for his first fresh water and now PB barra!

Video http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=FbMHq4l2YHQ

post-3563-1232415163_thumb.jpg

Well that was basicly it with only one more session of just casting practice.

I'd like to thank the guide, you know who you are, as he went out above and beyond the call of duty to make sure we all got our chances and getting a fish in such conditions, this is why I'll be going back again!

Still the best....

Greg

Edited by GregL

Thanks guys!

Jason said to me "now you have seen Awoonga at it's best and now at it's absolute worst!"

But that's fishing, you can't smash em all the time and it just makes the good days even better.....

Josh Pat got the biggest at 1m exact.

The 2 night ones were in the 90's.

All fish were caught on Squidgie slick rigs modified to suit situations.

Snag, if you want a barra you can get up there for the amount you guys won at the Open last week!

Hodgey. All on plastics and off weed beds. Sworn to secrecy about the night fishing, something he dosen't share with everyone..... I wasn't even allowed to pull the video camera out at all during that session......

Greg

Sore shoulders??? I think I've just strained the envy lobe of my brain! :wacko:

Sounds like a great time Greg. Catching fish like that in the dark must be a wild experience. Great read mate... what sort of modifying do you do to slick rigs?... trim the weights, tails??

Cheers, Slinky

Sore shoulders??? I think I've just strained the envy lobe of my brain! :wacko:

Sounds like a great time Greg. Catching fish like that in the dark must be a wild experience. Great read mate... what sort of modifying do you do to slick rigs?... trim the weights, tails??

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Slink!

Mate from cutting weight out to weedless to adding trebbles to trimming sections out of the plastic and even spike it on tails, we tried it all! Anything to get a bite when things are slow.....

Mmm I think I have Barra fever!

Greg

Once again another top report there Greg.... :yahoo: . Now after seeing the pics of the barra at Awonga Dam it makes me wonder why i used to drive past there when i used to go fishing up the reef on the extended trips out of Gladstone.....

Cheers.... John.