Live Bait And Under Size Fish

brickman

i've had a fellow raider asking wheather you can use under size fish for live bait

eg chopper tailor and whiting it seems a sticky subject as you ar'nt killing the chopper just feeding it to a bigger fish

so what's the go raiders on wacking an under size tailor or whiting on as a livey

i do'nt wont to lead the lad astray

gary

I was fishing last night and a fisho there said last time he hooked up to a small fish, he assumed it was a small whiting so he just left it there in a rod holder without reeling it back and he said he suddenly had a huge pull and landed a 60ish cm flatty, later on when he gutted the fish, there was the whiting.

Would this also be considered illegal ? Personally i dont think its right, but you cant really help it if say you were away doing something, a fish self hooks and then another fish comes over and takes it

I was fishing last night and a fisho there said last time he hooked up to a small fish, he assumed it was a small whiting so he just left it there in a rod holder without reeling it back and he said he suddenly had a huge pull and landed a 60ish cm flatty, later on when he gutted the fish, there was the whiting.

Would this also be considered illegal ? Personally i dont think its right, but you cant really help it if say you were away doing something, a fish self hooks and then another fish comes over and takes it

Seems kind of unethical but lets not go on about it so the topic gets closed, some people think that it is ok but it isn't, i don't do it, i think this is where enough research may not have been done in terms of perhaps creating a maximum type size limit as they have on poddy mullet when using them as live bait is the sole purpose. Its 15cm in this case but i doubt a lot of people know about this or abide by it. Just stick to the fish that don't have size limits like yakkas, slimies i reckon.

Josh

i know this is a grey area but i was hoping for a bit more info than no

is it against the rules or not after checking the bag limits and sizes it looks like a no no

maybe i'll make a few phone calls just to check

josh if we do'nt discuss it and it is a no no then how are all the people that do'nt know it's wrong supose to find out

gary

The Spanish Mackeral CFD caught earlier this month had the nose of a small Rainbow Runner also attached to the hook on the lure. After cleaning the Mackeral we found bite size pieces of the Rainbow in the gut of the Mackeral.

It would be splitting hairs if you considered the Rainbow, or for that matter other fish chomped by sharks, etc.. to qualify as a fish caught.

More to the point though, releasing an undersized fish unharmed would be my interpretation of the law. Sticking it with a large hook through the mouth or back would surely be deemed to be harming it and also I would believe that you are in fact retaining the fish, not releasing it, as the law requires.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers

Mariner

i know this is a grey area but i was hoping for a bit more info than no

is it against the rules or not after checking the bag limits and sizes it looks like a no no

maybe i'll make a few phone calls just to check

josh if we do'nt discuss it and it is a no no then how are all the people that do'nt know it's wrong supose to find out

gary

This is a good topic, but the legal lengths are for possession and whether or not you are using undersized fish for bait or keeping them for any other purpose it is definitely illegal.

There are other good substitutes outside the normal bait species including hardy heads, herring, silver biddies and sweep that don't have size limits. They all catch good fish and you may be surprised with what you get on them

I have had a freiend asked by fisheries to wind in his line when he said he was using a livebait so they could check what he was using and the size. It was just a Yacca so all was OK so you may be asked. He was told on the end of the line after it has been in the boat is in posession.