Water Police

clem

Noticed recently that there has been a lot of complaints about undersized fishing.I thought that the N.S.W Fisheries were responsible for that and not the Water Police.Do they actually take action or is it not worth our while to call.I am landbased and encounter a good few fisho's who take undersize fish.Just wondering if anyone has actually called them and what the result was.

Cheers Clem

Actually all police officers have the jurisdiction to deal with these matters pursuant to the Fisheries Act.

Fisheries Management Act 1994 No 38

244 Police officers to be fisheries officers

A police officer has the functions of a fisheries officer and is taken to be such an officer for the purposes of this Act.

Ross

I was pulled up by the Water Police on Sunday 18th in Middle Harbour. Aparently, somone had reported people in a boat similar to mine keeping undersized Kings.

It was a first for me. Never been challenged by the Water Police for fishing related issued before!

I was pulled up by the Water Police on Sunday 18th in Middle Harbour. Apparently, someone had reported people in a boat similar to mine keeping undersized Kings.

It was a first for me. Never been challenged by the Water Police for fishing related issued before!

There you go. A minor inconvenience for a legitimate fisherman certainly, but proof positive that the reports of illegal fishing ARE being acted upon!! :thumbup::thumbup: Keep the relevant numbers in your wallets/purses/tackle bags etc ... they can be found

Here

Cheers

Hodgey

I was pulled up by the Water Police on Sunday 18th in Middle Harbour. Aparently, somone had reported people in a boat similar to mine keeping undersized Kings.

Hey ceph,

Do you have a beige half cabin with a yellow stripe? I reported some guys that did on Sunday in MH. We approached them and asked if that was a kingie in the keeper net (we knew it was and it was obviously under), they said yeah and it's right on 65cms. They knew the law and flaunted it anyway. String em up for all to see I say.

Dave

Hey ceph,

Do you have a beige half cabin with a yellow stripe? I reported some guys that did on Sunday in MH. We approached them and asked if that was a kingie in the keeper net (we knew it was and it was obviously under), they said yeah and it's right on 65cms. They knew the law and flaunted it anyway. String em up for all to see I say.

Dave

With a king is there any reason to use a keeper net rather than dispatch it straight away , bleed and put on ice? I know people try and keep a king hooked in the water till they have another on the hook to keep em biting but live one in a keeper?

I think some people think if they see fisheries approach they can just cut their keeper and get off as I have seen a few with lead in them and a second rope - suspicious. Hope Fisheries catch them when on the move with the net inboard or get photos of em cutting them loose.

Noticed recently that there has been a lot of complaints about undersized fishing.I thought that the N.S.W Fisheries were responsible for that and not the Water Police.Do they actually take action or is it not worth our while to call.I am landbased and encounter a good few fisho's who take undersize fish.Just wondering if anyone has actually called them and what the result was.

Cheers Clem

The difference is:

Fisheries will ask for a report to be lodged with an ensuing investigation. They have tricky & varied responsibilities with inadequate resources like so many other Public Servants. I think they do an outstanding job under trying circumstances. Fisheries put the safety of their unarmed officers first, as they should.

Police will IMMEDIATELY take action to catch the perps red handed. They treat the undersize/over limit issue as a serious breach of the law & with the aim to prosecute. Just ask Ceph how seriously they take this issue. They have the advantage of crew numbers & a 'bigger stick'

Please don't ever approach anyone keeping undersize fish. I learned this very early in life after having a shotgun waved in my direction. Leave it to the proper authorities.

not to long ago i spotted a couple of blokes catching all sorts of undersize fish, then quickly filleting them and THEN mincing them through a grinder thingie .. i called 1800 043 536 (i think thats the number for the fisheries)......they got there about 1 and a half hours later and the unsavoury characters had already left.

i didnt want to approach them because they were big blokes and looked a bit backward in terms to our australian law and I thought the illigal fishing phone number for fisheries was set up to SWIFTLY deal with incidents such as this one... :05: i suppose

not to long ago i spotted a couple of blokes catching all sorts of undersize fish, then quickly filleting them and THEN mincing them through a grinder thingie .. i called 1800 043 536 (i think thats the number for the fisheries)......they got there about 1 and a half hours later and the unsavoury characters had already left.

i didnt want to approach them because they were big blokes and looked a bit backward in terms to our australian law and I thought the illigal fishing phone number for fisheries was set up to SWIFTLY deal with incidents such as this one... :05: i suppose

i wonder why they would want to take undersize fish and mince them lol, im trying to think of some sort of reason for it, maybe berley i guess but that seems kind of wasteful.

The best thing to do is go over and give them half your sandwich, if they ask why tell them if your that hard up for a meal and catching small fish you must be hungry and offer your food. :1prop:.

Edited by snag

The best thing to do is go over and give them half your sandwich, if they ask why tell them if your that hard up for a meal and catching small fish you must be hungry and offer your food. :1prop:.

Hey Snag.

I do not think that some people will actually get the sarcasm.HA! HA!