Crabbing In The Hawkesbury,fishing Outside

saltrix

Felt the need for a feed of blue swimmers so got up early and set my 5 nets and 1 trap at the spots I usually get a good feed . The tide was good too, top of the tide around 6am and my nets and trap were down about 5.30am.

It was then off to get a feed of fish, tried a few drifts Patonga to Lion Is area but the trawlers were still working the area and after a couple of U/S duskeys I left them and tried a troll around Barrenjoey.

(Got some livies at West Head on the way)

This is a hairy area as the bombora on the southern point only breaks in the bigger swells and I have seen boats go over the site and 5 minutes later seen it break at the same point.

Despite a few shows on the sounder I got no hits and lack of action did not inspire me to try my down rigger, so the few live yellowtail stayed in my bucket.

Then out to Boultons for a few drifts. Got a couple of U/S snapper and lost a lot of bait to U/S leatherjackets and caught a couple foul hooked.

At this stage I was getting a bit desperate so I sounded around Trawleys as that sometimes has Kings around.

There was a good show of fish right on the drop off so I sent a few baits down. 3 shovelnose sharkes and a couple more yellowtail later I let my drift take me further south and I struck a patch of Blue spot flathead.

Got 5 good sized keepers and returned twice that many U/S . The largest 58 cm, the smallest 42cm.

As the NE was coming up I gave it away and picked up my nets and trap. Only 1 crab.

I did better with the crabs in Botany bay a few weeks ago.

post-3961-1232527526_thumb.jpg

Felt the need for a feed of blue swimmers so got up early and set my 5 nets and 1 trap at the spots I usually get a good feed . The tide was good too, top of the tide around 6am and my nets and trap were down about 5.30am.

It was then off to get a feed of fish, tried a few drifts Patonga to Lion Is area but the trawlers were still working the area and after a couple of U/S duskeys I left them and tried a troll around Barrenjoey.

(Got some livies at West Head on the way)

This is a hairy area as the bombora on the southern point only breaks in the bigger swells and I have seen boats go over the site and 5 minutes later seen it break at the same point.

Despite a few shows on the sounder I got no hits and lack of action did not inspire me to try my down rigger, so the few live yellowtail stayed in my bucket.

Then out to Boultons for a few drifts. Got a couple of U/S snapper and lost a lot of bait to U/S leatherjackets and caught a couple foul hooked.

At this stage I was getting a bit desperate so I sounded around Trawleys as that sometimes has Kings around.

There was a good show of fish right on the drop off so I sent a few baits down. 3 shovelnose sharkes and a couple more yellowtail later I let my drift take me further south and I struck a patch of Blue spot flathead.

Got 5 good sized keepers and returned twice that many U/S . The largest 58 cm, the smallest 42cm.

As the NE was coming up I gave it away and picked up my nets and trap. Only 1 crab.

I did better with the crabs in Botany bay a few weeks ago.

post-3961-1232527526_thumb.jpg

How many crab did you get in the bay the other week?

Cheers,

Dan.

Got to be happy with that lot. :1fishing1:

Been trying B.B. for crabs for a while now but end up with nil. Any advice with catching them? Last try was off Towra Pt using Mullet on run out tide.

Tks.

At Botany Bay 2 weeks ago I set 3 witches hats about 50m out from 3 of the breakwater piers past the Brighton baths. For bait I used a few pilchards tied up in the mesh bag oranges come in.

I was suprised to catch 3 good sized crabs, 2 in 1 net, 1 in the other, 0 in1, between 9am and 11.30.

Hope this helps.

Regards