How Big Do The Kings Get In Sydney Harbour?

river_bouy

Hi,

I started fishing for Kings this summer. It has been slow process, but after much effort, I think I am finally getting the hang of it. Have landed 7 kings, 3 legal ones, and the biggest went 85cm. Mainly on downrigged live baits.

I was wondering how big the kings get around Sydney Harbour? Do the 1m fish live in the harbour or do you have to go outside the heads?

Thanks

There definitely are big kings in the harbour, sometimes people will see fish up to 1.5m cruising up near Roseville. My biggest is only 77cm and that was lure caught, you have to remember that big fish get that way by being smart and that is why so few of them are caught. As kingfish grow the size of schools decrease from the hundreds of rats down to pods of 4-5 fish when they are around 80cm+ and then 1-2fish when they are even bigger. I'd say that a lot of us have hooked some pretty serious fish but getting them in is another thing.

Josh

Guest Big-Banana

I've lost some absolute stonkers on 24kg game gear, trolling big baits, especially cuttles. How big were they, well I'll never know, but when a 10kg King barely pulled drag of the same outfit and these fish took line like it was in free spool, you get the idea.

I've lost some absolute stonkers on 24kg game gear, trolling big baits, especially cuttles. How big were they, well I'll never know, but when a 10kg King barely pulled drag of the same outfit and these fish took line like it was in free spool, you get the idea.

Absolutely spot on, this has happened way too many times.

These brutes are toying with us even with 24kg gear, im actually coming to the point where i think its impossible to land them.

Interesting comments! The biggest I've caught is 75cm and I released about 8 undersize this year. There was one that got away that went under the boat and towards a bouy on the other side. I got caught between the anchor rope and the prop with my rod right in the water to stop the line rubing on the hull.

My drag was tight and it was like a freight train and almost pulled me over the side! It must have taken the line around the bouy's chain because it suddenly went slack.

Andrew

Edited by leatherjacket