Smacking Jew From The Sand

outdoordan

Conditions were perfect, slightly overcast, light breeze and gentle swell. It was the night after the new moon, a proven time to fish for mulloway. It was 5:45 when we began to burley in an effort to get some livies.

In the next hour and a half we managed 6 nice sized Yakkas. :1prop:

It was about 7:15 when the first livies went out. They had only been in the water about 10mins when Stewy gets his first inquiry, But instead of coming tight the line went limp, and never did come tight. The livie which was pinned with 2x 8/0's, was gone????? :tease:

About 20mins later, While making a phone call, my yakka gets clobbered. The phone call gets the boot real quick and i set the hook. After a short tussle a nice schoolie of 86cms and 5.5kgs or 12lbs was slid up the beach. A phone call was made to Jewhunter, not to rub it in just to share our success, we were fishing one of his old stomping grounds.... and he was happy for us :mad3::ranting2:

I was stoked, first Jewie trip of the year and I cracked one. While not a big fish, i believe any jewie off the sand is the product of so much effort, that every fish is classified a trophy.

The high tide was at 10:20pm, with only one yakka left, and both of us wanting to see Stewy crack one next. We agreed he would have the last Livie. While I rigged a whole dead yakka on 2x 8/0's.

The high change had passed, It was nearing 11pm and stewys phone rang, It was Grant checking up on us. While on the phone, my rod buckled, and the drag began to sing, after a brief fight and a few small runs the second Mulloway for the night hit the sand. It later measured 106cms and 10.5kgs or 23lbs, which is a Pb.

We kept baits in the water till 12am then decided to make a move, content with our efforts.

After dropping Stewy home and cleaning fish i made it into bed at 5am :wacko:

We took the camera to the beach, but someone forgot to charge the batteries :1wallbash: So these will have to do..

Thanks for everything Stewy, it was a F_#kin top Session Mate, Bring on the 50 pounders :thumbup:

And Thanks to Grant, You taught me heaps when i started fishing for jew, and now I'm doin allright i have you to thank mate. Good on ya

Pics to follow

post-1572-1233115901_thumb.jpg

post-1572-1233115928_thumb.jpg

What a top session! :1yikes: I would have been more than happy with the one jewie at 86cm, but to improve it by a further 20cm on the same night is pure gold! :yahoo::yahoo:

Great report and photos Dan. Sounds like you fellas had a bloody ball! Looking forward to future fish of even bigger proportions :1yikes::biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Mate, you gotta be happy with that.

Grant's a bit of a gun with those jews. I remember going out with him at Port and he's telling me "you know that's a good spot for jew, and so is that, this is what I would do......"

Good on you Dan.

Well done fellas, top effort :thumbup: , sound like a great night

Thats certainly a couple of nice looking fish there Dan, you must be stoked!!!

No doubt the REALLY BIG one cant be too far away!!!! It was probably there last night but managed to eat Stewy's livie without finding the hooks.

Cheers,

Smitty...

Conditions were perfect, slightly overcast, light breeze and gentle swell. It was the night after the new moon, a proven time to fish for mulloway. It was 5:45 when we began to burley in an effort to get some livies.

In the next hour and a half we managed 6 nice sized Yakkas. :1prop:

It was about 7:15 when the first livies went out. They had only been in the water about 10mins when Stewy gets his first inquiry, But instead of coming tight the line went limp, and never did come tight. The livie which was pinned with 2x 8/0's, was gone????? :tease:

About 20mins later, While making a phone call, my yakka gets clobbered. The phone call gets the boot real quick and i set the hook. After a short tussle a nice schoolie of 86cms and 5.5kgs or 12lbs was slid up the beach. A phone call was made to Jewhunter, not to rub it in just to share our success, we were fishing one of his old stomping grounds.... and he was happy for us :mad3::ranting2:

I was stoked, first Jewie trip of the year and I cracked one. While not a big fish, i believe any jewie off the sand is the product of so much effort, that every fish is classified a trophy.

The high tide was at 10:20pm, with only one yakka left, and both of us wanting to see Stewy crack one next. We agreed he would have the last Livie. While I rigged a whole dead yakka on 2x 8/0's.

The high change had passed, It was nearing 11pm and stewys phone rang, It was Grant checking up on us. While on the phone, my rod buckled, and the drag began to sing, after a brief fight and a few small runs the second Mulloway for the night hit the sand. It later measured 106cms and 10.5kgs or 23lbs, which is a Pb.

We kept baits in the water till 12am then decided to make a move, content with our efforts.

After dropping Stewy home and cleaning fish i made it into bed at 5am :wacko:

We took the camera to the beach, but someone forgot to charge the batteries :1wallbash: So these will have to do..

Thanks for everything Stewy, it was a F_#kin top Session Mate, Bring on the 50 pounders :thumbup:

And Thanks to Grant, You taught me heaps when i started fishing for jew, and now I'm doin allright i have you to thank mate. Good on ya

Pics to follow

post-1572-1233115901_thumb.jpg

post-1572-1233115928_thumb.jpg

nice jewie there raider congrats

Great stuff fellas! :yahoo:

I think I was sniffling a bit though. As we've discussed Dan, fishing that beach is good for the soul! :biggrin2:

I'm rapt for you mate. It's one thing to have someone give advice, it's another for you to pick up the ball & run with it. You have put MANY hours & fishless nights in to get to know that spot, just as I did. Most people give up after 3 or 4 trips without a hit. You have refined your techniques, studied the conditions & had the belief in what you were doing & here are the results.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you are going to crack more than one 20kg plus fish there & I can't wait to see it.

I must be going mad. I'm even thinking of driving the 9hrs down to come fish with you!!! :wacko:

Well done mate.

Cheers,

Grant.

Stuff driving mate, Fly down and i'll come pick you up.

I've got a spare BBE10' and ABU7000C3 with your name on it :thumbup:

I think I have to make the 9hr drive up and sample some of the fishing on offer in god's country sometime soon anyway, so you can return the favour.

Thanks for the kind words mate,

Dan