Hank Newman Rods.

LittleNoah

I moved into a house a few months ago and found a beach/rock rod in the garage. It has no length or weight rating on it, just the name Hank Newman, so my question is has anyone heard of these rods and are they any good?

I don't know about the rods but Hank Newman was a big name in fishing in the 60's & 70's. I'm trying to remember if he had his own tackle store or if he worked at Mitchell's Sports (?) in Hurstville, possibly with Dick Lewers(?).

Baz

I don't know about the rods but Hank Newman was a big name in fishing in the 60's & 70's. I'm trying to remember if he had his own tackle store or if he worked at Mitchell's Sports (?) in Hurstville, possibly with Dick Lewers(?).

Baz

My Dad has two custom made Hank Newman 15kg overhead rods from the late 70's and still catches kings all the time on them so I would think they are or were a very high quality rod.

My Dad has two custom made Hank Newman 15kg overhead rods from the late 70's and still catches kings all the time on them so I would think they are or were a very high quality rod.

Hank Newman is a sportsfishing Icon. He was an original member of ANSA and ran the fishing section of an old hardware chain, Nock and Kirbys, (was that Joe the Gadgetmans store?).

He had his own range of equipment - harnesses, rods, gimbals etc. All very high quality that were sold from his shop in George st from memory. You could buy his stuff from other shops too.

The man was a legend, and I remember talking to him as a young bloke. He was very easy to talk to and was happy to answer all my questions.

Hank Newman was the President of the Amateur Fishermen's Association of N S W limited - 1965

(hope Im not breaking site rules for menti0on the club name!)

Jeez!! I didn't think we were that bad!!! :1yikes::074::074:

Cheers,

Grant.

(p.s. Hank Newman was well known even when I was growing up!)

• 4 years later...

Hank Newman also ran the Australian Fishing Museum which used to be located in Birkinhead point. I had a very fine LBG rod made by Hank. He also used to import Polikanski reels from South Africa. They were a reel which was very easy to convert to left hand wind.