Kingies

clem

I have decided to TRY and catch kingies as I cannot catch anything else.(What a JOKE)

My question to all out there is how far up middle harbour would you find them.

Came across a family friendly spot right next to the spit bridge and on Sunday I was messing around and a school of bait fish came flying out of the water with about 3 or 4 kingies after them.

Could I get tailor there as well because twice my line came in with the hook missing.Obviously I was not watching the rod due to my nephew being with me.(I end up fixing all his snags all day. HA! HA!)

I only have 9kg line on a 12foot beach rod and a 8foot medium action rod.Is this OK or should I change?

P.S. Slowly reaching the P.....off point with my pathetic results/stats.

Need to take a breather before I loose all my control.(HEE! HEE!)

Cheers Clem

I have decided to TRY and catch kingies as I cannot catch anything else.(What a JOKE)

My question to all out there is how far up middle harbour would you find them.

Came across a family friendly spot right next to the spit bridge and on Sunday I was messing around and a school of bait fish came flying out of the water with about 3 or 4 kingies after them.

Could I get tailor there as well because twice my line came in with the hook missing.Obviously I was not watching the rod due to my nephew being with me.(I end up fixing all his snags all day. HA! HA!)

I only have 9kg line on a 12foot beach rod and a 8foot medium action rod.Is this OK or should I change?

P.S. Slowly reaching the P.....off point with my pathetic results/stats.

Need to take a breather before I loose all my control.(HEE! HEE!)

Cheers Clem

PM sent, Clem!

Rob.

The Spit Bridge is one of the most consistent Kingy spots in Middle Harbour. They are regularly caught in and around Bantry Bay, although early and late in the season seems better further up Middle Harbour. Seaforth Bluff is another really consistent Kingy spot.

If you want to catch a Kingy from shore at the Spit, fish from the North Eastern side of the bridge... there's a nice park there and the water drops off deeply close to shore... the kings follow the drop off as they move around. In among the moored boats is a great option but that's not practical from shore.

Try to catch some squid... consistently available under and around the bridge at night. Then because you won't have any way to keep them alive I guess, use fresh squid strips or even small whole squid as bait (the squids' guts are a #1 bait). Try to suspend your bait about 2-3m off the bottom... a paternoster rig with a very long leader to the sinker or a float rig with a long dropper will do it.

You'll have problems with little pickers if your bait is too close to the bottom, but if you're patient, a kingy will ineveitably swim by that spot. You've also got a reasonable chance of catching small Samson Fish there too. Use 40-60lb leader which is fine for kings and you'll also more than likely be able to land any tailor you hook.

Cheers, Slinky

Seen a few guys have success under the Spit Bridge using poppers and Rapala X-Raps if thats any help?

Lots of casts between fish though.

Thanks mate.I am a lazy fisho so I prefer to cast out and wait.Did try the cast and retrieve method but after about 10 or so I call it quits.I guess my impatients gets the better of me.

The Spit Bridge is one of the most consistent Kingy spots in Middle Harbour. They are regularly caught in and around Bantry Bay, although early and late in the season seems better further up Middle Harbour. Seaforth Bluff is another really consistent Kingy spot.

If you want to catch a Kingy from shore at the Spit, fish from the North Eastern side of the bridge... there's a nice park there and the water drops off deeply close to shore... the kings follow the drop off as they move around. In among the moored boats is a great option but that's not practical from shore.

Try to catch some squid... consistently available under and around the bridge at night. Then because you won't have any way to keep them alive I guess, use fresh squid strips or even small whole squid as bait (the squids' guts are a #1 bait). Try to suspend your bait about 2-3m off the bottom... a paternoster rig with a very long leader to the sinker or a float rig with a long dropper will do it.

You'll have problems with little pickers if your bait is too close to the bottom, but if you're patient, a kingy will ineveitably swim by that spot. You've also got a reasonable chance of catching small Samson Fish there too. Use 40-60lb leader which is fine for kings and you'll also more than likely be able to land any tailor you hook.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks mate.

Hoping to give it a go this weekend some time depending on the family dynamics.(HA! HA! )

Does the tide and time of day play a roll in all of this?

Cheers Clem

If you want to catch a Kingy from shore at the Spit, fish from the North Eastern side of the bridge... there's a nice park there and the water drops off deeply close to shore... the kings follow the drop off as they move around.

Hey Slinky I attached a map. Is the circle around the place ur talking about? Just wondering, what can I catch there at night?

Thanks for the help!

post-9149-1233743652_thumb.jpg