Jb An Ulladulla

nick 10

Anthony,

I have to say that only 12 marlin have been caught by the longliners from Ulladulla since Sunday evening. I do know that most of the boats were chasing yellow fin tuna out wide with perhaps 20 or so tuna caught. I do not know where you are obtaining your info from. I live in Ulladulla, I don't take sides and don't pull my punches. I know every owner, skipper and crew on these boats, out of respect for some of us game fishermen the local fleet did not go to sea during the Jess Sams tournament. If every one is able to get on with each other perhaps some progress may be achieved. The only way to legally stop them from catching marlin is to lobby the Fisheries and Govt.

Water only 20 at the banks yesterday. Plenty of bait along the 100fth mark. Hard to see how there was only 12 caught on the long line, I found the line in 106fth last week wide of the banks, so i cant see how they were targeting Tuna as there hasnt been a report of tuna since November. Not havin a go Mchale, but a long line in 106fth around the bait means targeting Marlin in my eyes.

I have fished 6 days in the last 2 weeks from Bermi to Ully and every trip i have seen 2-3 longliners shooting lines between 90-1000 fathoms. They are doing there best to clean the ocean from fish and i am retty sure its working as im raising less and less fish, from 8 marlin raised in a day to 0 the last few trips.

Just seems a bit to hard to belive there not taking the bulk of the fish.

My comments are based on the local longline fleet working out of Ulladulla only, nowhere else as I don't know what the others are catching. I have fished 25 Jan and the 3 days of the Jess Sams, I have not seen any longlines in the vicinity of where we were fishing, and by the way Frigate we managed to raise 35 marlin over those 4 days. As I have mentioned before I don't take sides, I tell it as it is.

My comments are based on the local longline fleet working out of Ulladulla only, nowhere else as I don't know what the others are catching. I have fished 25 Jan and the 3 days of the Jess Sams, I have not seen any longlines in the vicinity of where we were fishing, and by the way Frigate we managed to raise 35 marlin over those 4 days. As I have mentioned before I don't take sides, I tell it as it is.

I must agree here with the others - I'm sure Mchale believes in what he has presented infront of him unfortunately this isnt a fair representation of long lining statistics. Fiqures quoted are simply unviable - the boats wouldnt be working there for that return. I'm sorry mate but its that simple. Long Linners have targeted Marlin over the last decade because they destroyed the tuna stocks and they will destroy the Marlin stocks as well. A long line kills black marlin just as well as stripes. Up here when they are working out of Cairns fishing for tuna we see plenty of Blacks caught on them, fish which cant be sold, and are simply killed for no benifit whatsover.

I'm a marlin fisherman through and through and I DO takes sides. There is no way to convince me that those boats are not knocking your stocks around.

with respect - Bat

Scott, I agree with what you are saying, however I don't agree with unfounded reports that longliners are taking tonnes of marlin in the area off Ulladulla. How many longliners do you think may be reading this and other sites? As I have said before, laws have to be changed to prevent the taking of striped marlin as by-catch. Everyones focus needs to be directed at the Govt, not the longliners.

Scott, I agree with what you are saying, however I don't agree with unfounded reports that longliners are taking tonnes of marlin in the area off Ulladulla. How many longliners do you think may be reading this and other sites? As I have said before, laws have to be changed to prevent the taking of striped marlin as by-catch. Everyones focus needs to be directed at the Govt, not the longliners.

Fairly said Mchale, I agree that old mate may need to qualify the claim that 'tonnes of Marlin were removed within that week', but to be honest we are really discussing is a bigger issue here. In my younger days I actually worked on a comercial boat out of JB on the deck for a while, and with my business 'Bats Boat Works' in Cairns we service the electronics of the majority of the long line fleet, so I have a reasonable idea of what viable catch rates need to be to sustain the industry. I like you have nothing personally against the commercial sector, they are operating within the legal boundaries set for them and they have every right and obligation to those that depend on them to do so. However I am biased towards the recreational sector, and genuinely belive that the return to the community from our minimal impact fishing is vastly greater than the return from the commercial sector. The return from the commercial sector is very limited to those directly involved in the operations of and the supply of goods and services, (which includes me), directly to the industry. The recreational sector onflows much more benifit to a greatly wider % of the community, without taking the huge numbers of the stock needed to support the long liners. Please remember that these boats work the entire coast not just Sth NSW, and are generally run by very competant fishermen and crews who really can catch these fish when they have the opportunity. For years people such as myself, Ross Hunter, GFAA and many others have been directing our concerns to our respective Govt authorities. The implementation of a green zone into area E on the reef being an example, (which however came back and bite us as well as we no longer can fish there either).

Anyway in principal I agree with you that the recreational boys can at times, be very quick to quote fiqures that may be not so accurate, (By the way we can easily have this verified as the boats would have unloaded I assume either at JB or U/D and besides that they would need to have the records available for their quotas).

The trouble here Mchale is that this IS an emotive subject and the people that care about it care about it very much, at the end of the day I believe that the greater common good is served by having millions of dollars world wide spent fishing for Marlin recreationally rather than decimating one of the most wonderfully evolved speacies on the earth to provide cheap protein to the worlds unendng demand. We can farm Tilapia and catfish and all that crap (which they do) to acheive that. The problem is that we dont learn from our mistakes.

However let me say this to the recreational boys.. think yourself lucky that you fish in Australia, where we do have quotas etc. Have a look at David Attenboughs 'Super Fish' DVD - then you can get an idea how many billfish are taken worldwide every year. It simply cant continue.

Sorry to rant on Mchale, but finally I would like to point out to you that Striped Marlin are not a 'By Catch' of the Long Liners, they are a targeted speacies, they fish for them because they cant catch the tuna anymore, not the ones they want to sell for big bucks to O/S anyway.

Regards - Bat