First Decent Fish Today!

SimJ

Went for a quick lb sess with a mate today down at a regular spot in greenwich. The water was very dark almost black and after pulling up only toads for 20 minutes things didnt look good.

Our plans for getting live bait werent going well with about 10 toads, 20 tiny snapper and 10 or so mixed minnies (trumpeters, breams etc.). So a big chunk of chicken breast it was.

I couldnt believe it, but Gary's (Brickman) prediction actually came true! Got some nice hits and pulled in a big flattie but wasnt properly hooked and let go at the surface right next to us! NO NET! :wacko::(:1badmood:

After a lot of swearing :05: I sent the chicken back out to the same spot then switched lines and pulled in yet ANOTHER diseased leatherjacket! keep catching them with bugs buried in them, makes me sick and always throw back

post-9568-1234699175_thumb.jpg

post-9568-1234699337_thumb.jpg

Getting ready to pack up, start reeling in the line with chicken and :yahoo: the same feeling as the flattie before. This time Im a bit more prepared and give it a good yank and get the bucket ready. Not sure if its the same one but manage to land a nice one (70cm).

post-9568-1234699640_thumb.jpg

post-9568-1234699705_thumb.jpg

post-9568-1234699766_thumb.jpg

For a 3 hour session and a new PB Im :thumbup: but im DEFINITELY buying a net asap :074:

Simmo

well done simmo

told you so na na nana thats a great efort to land a big lizard with out a net

the fish has a very slender tail and i've come across lizards that looked the same as yours

they still taste great NOW GO AND BUY A NET BEFORE THAT JEW SHOWS UP

cherrs mate gary

well done simmo

told you so na na nana thats a great efort to land a big lizard with out a net

the fish has a very slender tail and i've come across lizards that looked the same as yours

they still taste great NOW GO AND BUY A NET BEFORE THAT JEW SHOWS UP

cherrs mate gary

Mate wouldnt have it without ur advice, and bidding on a net right now :074:

Cheers,

Simmo

Mate wouldnt have it without ur advice, and bidding on a net right now :074:

Cheers,

Simmo

NIce catch! but if your Bidding, as in eBay? forgett that stuff your better off supporting one of your local Tackle shops...rather than paying cuts of your $ to ebay/paypal/auspost!! Keep it real, and get to know your local tackle shop guy!

..it may even save you afew bucks!

ebay is good for somethings...l used it to find may latest boat ....but the transaction didn't go through ebay! (no way!! they not only want the seller to pay to advertise, but also want a cut of the final price!)

Cheers guys, its a dusky right? havent caught many before but why is it wierd?

Cheers,

Simmo

Wow, it sure is a weird shape, tapers off to much towards the tail, maybe it just had a really full belly or something? Or maybe its a hybrid.

Hey Guys

THAT IS ONE VERY INTERESTING FLATHEAD!!

In all my years of fishing I have never seen a flathead like that!!!!

And yes I have seen the sick ones in Lake Mac

Suggest

1. Malnourished, not likely as the atrophy of the flesh along its length is inconsistant. It appears healthy until it reaches half way down the tail section.

2. Could be a random genetic variance within the species? Possible but not likely within just one individual, though there may be others around.

3. The more evil would be the dioxin contamination within the parramatta river and harbour system. The chemical has the ability subvert or to modify genetic memory. Studies on species in Homebush bay leading up to the Olympics revealed the same. Information on those studies are available from them.

I reckon 3!!

If the fish is still available or any part of it suggest submit for analysis to the techno heads

Results would be interesting

Trapper Tom

What were the fillets like on that flathead? strange shape, have never seen one like that before.

Havent eaten it yet, but im a bit scared to now after what everyones saying!

So should I send it to fisheries department? or just close my eyes and eat it? :074:

Cheers,

Simmo